Newsweek article on Liberals and 2A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CAC's main concern in weighing in on the McDonald case isn't to secure gun rights but to set a precedent that will expand individuals' protection under the Bill of Rights to the state level. That would, they hope, bolster liberal constitutional arguments in favor of stronger due-process and abortion-rights protections.

The CAC hopes instead that the court will add not just the Second Amendment but the whole Bill of Rights. That would make state laws vulnerable to federal-court challenges under a part of the Constitution that liberals love: the "privileges or immunities" clause of the 14th Amendment. Liberals would be able to sue states in federal court on everything from welfare to gay marriage, challenging laws that deprive someone of the "privileges or immunities" of citizenship. The CAC believes the benefits of these new protections are worth the weaker gun laws that may go along with them.

You do need to consider underlying motives when a new player comes to the table huh?. :)

I've long held that many "liberals" are in fact pushing anything but a liberal agenda. IMO, a true liberal should champion gun rights as the ultimate freedom of choice. That they do not is indicative of a less charitable agenda. Most pseudo-liberals are simply pushing their own version of control over others. Sadly, many "conervatives" are anything but as well. They're merely pushing their own form of control in a different way.

But I also believe the thread is finally hanging. It's only a matter of time before it begins to unravel........

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But I also believe the thread is finally hanging. It's only a matter of time before it begins to unravel........

Could you explain that a bit more? do you mean that liberal errors over the past 100 years regarding the constitution are unraveling or that things are, in general, getting to the point where society is beginning to unravel or what?

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see the connection the liberals are attempting to make in this case, with one exception, that being abortion, since there is another human being involved, with life or death in the balance and at the mercy of another's "choice".

I will take any ally we can get in the 2nd amendment fight, so I am glad to have them filing the briefs.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could you explain that a bit more? do you mean that liberal errors over the past 100 years regarding the constitution are unraveling or that things are, in general, getting to the point where society is beginning to unravel or what?

I mean the whole "Look at me, I'm a conservative fighting for your rights and against the erosion of our values" and the "Look at me, I'm a liberal and I'm fighting for your rights and against the fundamentalist neo-cons" bullsh!t.

There are 536 people in DC right now, of which about 98% of them are driving this country straight into the ground. With the rare exceptions, they all have their hands in our pockets while whispering sweet nothings in our ears. Sadly, for decades the American public has bought their snake oil.

But it's starting to get very thin, and I see hope on the horizon. If we could just shake off the date rape drugs they slipped into our water supply, we might just get them off our backs! :(

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I mean the whole "Look at me, I'm a conservative fighting for your rights and against the erosion of our values" and the "Look at me, I'm a liberal and I'm fighting for your rights and against the fundamentalist neo-cons" bullsh!t.

There are 536 people in DC right now, of which about 98% of them are driving this country straight into the ground. With the rare exceptions, they all have their hands in our pockets while whispering sweet nothings in our ears. Sadly, for decades the American public has bought their snake oil.

But it's starting to get very thin, and I see hope on the horizon. If we could just shake off the date rape drugs they slipped into our water supply, we might just get them off our backs! :(

I agree with you completely.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, many on the left don't care to be labeled. Over the years, the term "liberal" has become a derogatory term for those whose views tend to the far left. Thus, many of those individuals now wish to be called "progressives". Their thinking is that the term "progressive" means being willing to endorse changes in the way things are done, but many times the "progressives" won't accept progressive ideas such as school vouchers.

Sadly, they don't fully understand that the term "progressive" is even closer linked to communism than the term "liberal." Thus, should they care to study the "Progressive" movement from its roots in roughly the 1870's, they might find that term to be less complimentary.

The fearful thing about many on the left is that the constitution is a "living document". Their hope is to allow the "living document" be changed gradually by decisions in court as opposed to changing the constitution via the amendment process. Many of the changes that the "left" would like would not be accepted by the majority of the states in the ratification process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom