No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a buddy who got mugged as he was leaving the liquor store, it was more like an assualt and then mugged. Anyways he took a crowbar to the head, when he woke the ambulance was there and he took a ride to the county hospital. He got a bill for about $800.00 dollars for the ambulance ride. He talked with the bill collector when they called him and they gave him a number and told him to tell them that he was a victim of crime. Well after that he never got another bill. Maybe the lifegaurd can tell them that he was a hero and they might have a special number that he can call and have the bill taken care of.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So should cops and military be treated the same when they need to be treated? Would the cops/ military insuarance be billed or the department cover the charges? Atleast the lifegaurds employer should help on the bill.

The kid wasn't at his job when this happened. He's employed as a lifeguard at two pools far from the ocean.

Lifeguards get paid crappy wages and I bet he has no insurance from his employer. Since he's 17 and in school he's probably covered under his parents' plan.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read the story as a pool lifeguard that saved a kid in the ocean. I don't think the lifeguard was on duty or at his job. If he were on duty, it would be a worker's comp claim.

You may be correct. Ambiguously written at best. The point remains the same though, he still isn't entitled to a free ride. Sucks for him if he doesn't have good insurance. If I did the same thing I wouldn't expect a hospital bill to go unpaid. To be fair, my insurance would most likely cover me anyway.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The kid wasn't at his job when this happened. He's employed as a lifeguard at two pools far from the ocean.

Lifeguards get paid crappy wages and I bet he has no insurance from his employer. Since he's 17 and in school he's probably covered under his parents' plan.

Got ya. How about a cop is of duty and goes out of his jurisdiction to go watch a movie in a denver theater, and happens to kill a crazy man who calls hiself the joker who came equipted with a gas mask and numerous weapons. Would the cops insuarance be charged then if he needed medical treatment. Ill guess an answer for my question and say probably. This really makes you wonder on saving someone if its not your job to do so.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Actually, most lifeguards get paid pretty well here in SoCal. My neighbor girl just turned 16 years old and is doing guard duty at a local pool. Getting $15/hour. Not too bad for a teenage who doesn't have a drivers lic yet. The adult lifeguards in Newport Beach where I live get paid great money for what they do. The full time lifeguard staff in the city make $120k/year. Crappy wages, I think not.

http://orangepunch.ocregister.com/2...-totally-lucrative-some-make-over-200k/44783/

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, you live in Newport Beach? You must be pulling in some cash as well.

Run by Gallo's at 31st and Balboa. Pick up a Turbacado. They're awesome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom