This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what a guy wants to do with it. Smart money is to have at least one of each.

And then wise up and get an M1A and FAL........

that's funny man because it was when I discovered the power of the FAL that I lost interest in AKs. I remember thinking "so this was NATOs answer to the AKM...damn!"

both are formidable weapons in the right hands but the OP talking about liking a cartridge with punch....7.62 nato is a different animal. unfortunately though its about 60% more expensive than x39 :( . And likewise it was after I owned a SCAR 17 that I lost interest in the FAL...lighter, more accurate, better ergos, etc... The ridiculous FAL prices these days also made it easy to get away from them. Century frankenFALs commanding $800+ :rolleyes2

People saying the AK wont hit anything past 150 yards I say :blahblah: x 1000. Try shooting a well built gun that you are familiar with and you can go well beyond that distance...the AR just makes it a lot easier (at least for me).

to the OP, something to consider is the AR market is in the dumps right now...$500-600 can get you a decent starter AR. AKs are still having a pretty strong market, and its tough to find a deal on one. My advice would be to buy the AR and save up while looking for a better deal on a MAK. I just sold a PREBAN norinco AK in decent condition for $850...and I'm not going to tell you what I got it for. The deals are out there my friend.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's funny man because it was when I discovered the power of the FAL that I lost interest in AKs. I remember thinking "so this was NATOs answer to the AKM...damn!"

both are formidable weapons in the right hands but the OP talking about liking a cartridge with punch....7.62 nato is a different animal. unfortunately though its about 60% more expensive than x39 :( . And likewise it was after I owned a SCAR 17 that I lost interest in the FAL...lighter, more accurate, better ergos, etc... The ridiculous FAL prices these days also made it easy to get away from them. Century frankenFALs commanding $800+ :rolleyes2

People saying the AK wont hit anything past 150 yards I say :blahblah: x 1000. Try shooting a well built gun that you are familiar with and you can go well beyond that distance...the AR just makes it a lot easier (at least for me).

to the OP, something to consider is the AR market is in the dumps right now...$500-600 can get you a decent starter AR. AKs are still having a pretty strong market, and its tough to find a deal on one. My advice would be to buy the AR and save up while looking for a better deal on a MAK. I just sold a PREBAN norinco AK in decent condition for $850...and I'm not going to tell you what I got it for. The deals are out there my friend.

I hear ya, last night I was looking at AR builds all night, I want an AR 15 and a pistol, might just have to go that route since prices are so god damn good right now.

Also, I was thinking that AR15 parts are more readily available and it seems to me at least that if something was going to break I would have more availability in parts and the gun community would help me resolve any problems to my AR 15 build.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those prices aren't that great for a Mak-90, but not outrageous either. AK platform rifles are doing nothing but raising in price, you can't say that about AR's. Chinese AK's have a great finish, but the metal on them leaves something to be desired. For the amount of money that you are looking to spend, I would suggest trying to find a good used Saiga (good luck). You can still find a few laying around that haven't been converted yet for $600-800 and they are a kick-ass Russky AK. You can then spend extra funds on converting it yourself, it's not hard.

AKOU's torture test on the Arsenal only showed that the finish is crap on them, but everyone already knew that. They are still one of the most dependable AK's made and that should be what matters. If the finish matters that much, you can strip off the paint (it's parked underneath) or just ceracoat it.

P.S. anyone who thinks AK's are only accurate out to 150 yards hasn't shot very many of them.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those prices aren't that great for a Mak-90, but not outrageous either. AK platform rifles are doing nothing but raising in price, you can't say that about AR's. Chinese AK's have a great finish, but the metal on them leaves something to be desired. For the amount of money that you are looking to spend, I would suggest trying to find a good used Saiga (good luck). You can still find a few laying around that haven't been converted yet for $600-800 and they are a kick-ass Russky AK. You can then spend extra funds on converting it yourself, it's not hard.

AKOU's torture test on the Arsenal only showed that the finish is crap on them, but everyone already knew that. They are still one of the most dependable AK's made and that should be what matters. If the finish matters that much, you can strip off the paint (it's parked underneath) or just ceracoat it.

P.S. anyone who thinks AK's are only accurate out to 150 yards hasn't shot very many of them.

I really would like an Chinese AK but after more research I've come to the conclusion to after restoring the MAK90 to what I like and ammo and more magazine, I could build me to AR 15's.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea that stuff ads up man...my first AK was a MAK90 that I had high hopes of putting back to pre ban status. Added up the cost of the furniture, FSB, cleaning rod, bluing, etc...sold it and bought an arsenal haha. I like Neanderthal's idea of finding a good used saiga...after all, those are the MAK90s of our time. Excellent firearms, every bit as good as a MAK. I fell in love with the AK platform from converting saigas.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't argue with any of the above; I'm an AK guy, but am just as much an FAL/M1A/G3 guy too (SCAR is too damned expensive) - except that the AKs are cheaper and inexpensive to shoot. I like the ARs just fine, but most (as in M4s) just don't have "soul" like the aforementioned. As for 7.62x51/.308 - now is the time. With Hirt, ZQI, and now SGAmmo has DAG/MEN for ± 50¢ a round, load it up and get ready for the future - which doesn't look too bright. Smart money is on loading up on 7.62 NATO ammo, 5.56 ammo (it's as cheap as it's been in some time), and AR rifles. If you stumble onto an AK deal, by all means grab that. The political future looks pretty grim, and these prices are very, very temporary, I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom