NRA 2023 Outstanding Club Award - OKCGC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They announced at the picnic yesterday that OKCGC received NRA’s 2023 Outstanding Club award. I don’t know how many other clubs applied for the award. But, it’s nice to get the recognition.

https://awards.nra.org/awards/club-awards/

It's also the largest womens fun shoot. What did you think of the picnic this year and the past few years?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's also the largest womens fun shoot. What did you think of the picnic this year and the past few years?
I enjoyed the picnic and had way too many desserts 😂. There was a big crowd just as in the past. And, I didn’t win anything in the drawings, just as in the past. We ate and then gave up our seats to others and just lingered in the back or outside near the dessert tables - a mistake for me. I’m thinking we may need to expand or replace the clubhouse if we keep expanding the membership.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoyed the picnic and had way too many desserts 😂. There was a big crowd just as in the past. And, I didn’t win anything in the drawings, just as in the past. We ate and then gave up our seats to others and just lingered in the back or outside near the dessert tables - a mistake for me. I’m thinking we may need to expand or replace the clubhouse if we keep expanding the membership.

I kind of run the picnic and have for the past few. I have thought the same thing about the clubhouse as well. Not sure if we could maybe get an event tent that would seat more, but we'd lose AC. I would have had more tables and chairs but there were 3 classes going on and they were in use, but I also think we had a slightly lower turnout than the past few years. I did try to do a few things different this year that I hope made it run smoother or at least less chaotic. Over the years between this and the womens fun shoot, I have won an AR mag, shotgun case and a Marlin 336 from the NRA wall of guns raffle when I bought a ticket. My son also won a cricket .22

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to you and others who organized the event - I’m sure it’s an exercise in logistics and somewhat understand. I run the target loading workdays at the shotgun range - Scott was right when he said we were on track to shoot a million plus targets this year. We had that kind of volume for a few years before COVID hit and I’m glad to see it coming back.

I really enjoyed it when the little girl, not much older than an infant, won a rifle in one of the kid drawings. It was a great moment.

I did notice that it looked like one less row of tables which I thought was good and made it a little easier to get around and sit to eat. Maybe do both; seating in the clubhouse and overflow to an event tent? Me and the others I was with were happy just to stand in the back, front, or outside the doors to hear the reports. An additional PA speaker and microphone added to the back of the room might help with Division reports from those not up front using the PA system. All and all, fun time, good food, good friends, and positive news from the club officials.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you @bigfug. I couldn’t make it this year but I’m thinking a clubhouse expansion might be needed in the near future. Would help with the swap meet too.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to you and others who organized the event - I’m sure it’s an exercise in logistics and somewhat understand. I run the target loading workdays at the shotgun range - Scott was right when he said we were on track to shoot a million plus targets this year. We had that kind of volume for a few years before COVID hit and I’m glad to see it coming back.

I really enjoyed it when the little girl, not much older than an infant, won a rifle in one of the kid drawings. It was a great moment.

I did notice that it looked like one less row of tables which I thought was good and made it a little easier to get around and sit to eat. Maybe do both; seating in the clubhouse and overflow to an event tent? Me and the others I was with were happy just to stand in the back, front, or outside the doors to hear the reports. An additional PA speaker and microphone added to the back of the room might help with Division reports from those not up front using the PA system. All and all, fun time, good food, good friends, and positive news from the club officials.

Yes, one less row, but we went a little further back to try and make up for it. I was gonna take my toddler, but was worried about what to do with him if it rained cuz he would have just played in the mud. Hardest part is getting all the stuff together. I've streamlined it, but someone is always out of something it seems. Schwabs told us the day of pickup that they werent gonna have our brats for us.

I love the kids raffle. Its gotten bigger over the years. For several, almost every kid walked away with something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom