Number of people killed by the police, US.v UK.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he didn't have a broken tail light or take off running, he wouldn't have got shot.

I didn't know either one of those was a capital offense, subject to summary execution. Surely you can cite the law that authorizes the police to shoot him in the back for either of those, then tamper with the scene to cover it up, yes?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right, I missed it outright. S'what I get for posting while distracted.

In my defense, there are posters here who say such things seriously. But still, I should read more carefully.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why in the world would the Tulsa County Sheriff department allow a 73 year old man to participate in a situation where extreme violence could result? the man used to be totally qualified but we ALL age and loose our physical capabilities. seems some of the blame belongs to TCSO by allowing a 73 yr old man to participate in a potentially hazardous operation.

defense is I didn't mean to shoot him .... grabbed the gun instead of the taser ...

========
Tulsa County Sheriff's Office: Reserve deputy did not commit crime in fatal shooting
Apr 10, 2015

TCSO says the investigation into the fatal shooting of Eric Harris on April 2 concluded and was turned over to Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiller.

The family of the man shot, Eric Harris, spoke to the media Thursday regarding their expectations of the investigation's outcome. They asked that any footage, or audio, from the incident be released.
http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news...ving-reserve-deputy?google_editors_picks=true
2 Works for You anchor Libby Beaubien talks with family of man fatally shot by TCSO reserve deputy

During the press conference, the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office said reserve deputy Robert Bates, who is a former TPD officer and CLEET certified, was not originally on the arrest team intended in the undercover operation involving Eric Harris. He was later “thrust in to the situation.”

TCSO says during the chase to subdue Harris, Harris showed “characteristics consistent with carrying a gun."

Arresting deputies thought Harris was possibly armed due to where he was holding his hands: close to his waistline, says TCSO.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The victim, Mr. Scott, was pulled over because of his car’s broken brake light.

I was listening to some news report this morning off in the distance but doing something else when I caught something I thought I heard that sounded a little weird and went to the DVR and ran it back a few times to make sure and found that they were saying he was pulled over for his 3rd brake light being out. Until I googled it I didnt even realize that it was an offense same as if one of the 2 main brake lights are out but apparently since 96' it is. My stuff is always working because I check it all regularly on all my vehicles so I guess not ever getting pulled over for equipment defects you wouldnt know what was an offense, especially since they dont do inspections here any more. Just found that weird.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why in the world would the Tulsa County Sheriff department allow a 73 year old man to participate in a situation where extreme violence could result? the man used to be totally qualified but we ALL age and loose our physical capabilities. seems some of the blame belongs to TCSO by allowing a 73 yr old man to participate in a potentially hazardous operation.

defense is I didn't mean to shoot him .... grabbed the gun instead of the taser ...

========
Tulsa County Sheriff's Office: Reserve deputy did not commit crime in fatal shooting
Apr 10, 2015

TCSO says the investigation into the fatal shooting of Eric Harris on April 2 concluded and was turned over to Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiller.

The family of the man shot, Eric Harris, spoke to the media Thursday regarding their expectations of the investigation's outcome. They asked that any footage, or audio, from the incident be released.
http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news...ving-reserve-deputy?google_editors_picks=true
2 Works for You anchor Libby Beaubien talks with family of man fatally shot by TCSO reserve deputy

During the press conference, the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office said reserve deputy Robert Bates, who is a former TPD officer and CLEET certified, was not originally on the arrest team intended in the undercover operation involving Eric Harris. He was later “thrust in to the situation.”

TCSO says during the chase to subdue Harris, Harris showed “characteristics consistent with carrying a gun."

Arresting deputies thought Harris was possibly armed due to where he was holding his hands: close to his waistline, says TCSO.

It was an undercover gun buy and Bates was working containment, not the main arrest team. Since it was a gun buy, you'd have to assume the subject was carrying. To do otherwise would be foolish.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Few prosecutions among thousands of fatal shootings by on-duty police

Mr. Brackney is among 54 officers charged over the past decade for fatally shooting someone while on duty, according to an analysis by The Washington Post and researchers at Bowling Green State University. This analysis, based on a wide range of public records and interviews with law enforcement, judicial and other legal experts, sought to identify for the first time every officer who faced charges for such shootings since 2005. These represent a small fraction of the thousands of fatal police shootings that have occurred across the country in that time.

Not that long ago, police had wide latitude to shoot fleeing felons. But a 1985 Supreme Court decision changed that. In Tennessee v. Garner, the justices ruled that it was not justifiable for officers to shoot simply to prevent a suspect’s escape. The suspect had to pose a significant threat of death or serious harm to either law enforcement or innocent bystanders for the shooting to be legally justified.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...atal-shootings-by-on-duty-police/201504130091

Latest posts

Top Bottom