O/U (as in over and under) Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which O/U To Sell?

• Sell the Ruger

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Sell the Beretta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep both and shoot them!

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have two 12ga. O/U shotguns that have been sitting in my safe for twenty years or more. I will be selling one but I can't decide which.

Ruger Red Label O/U with 26" adj. choke barrels and a straight "English" stock.

Beretta 686 with 28" Modified/Full choked barrel.

The Ruger is about 99.5% with some barely noticeable minor wear on the forend. The Beretta is like new. Both guns have their original factory box. I am on the road and will post pictures when I get back to Edmond .

Should sell one …. Which one???

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on the planned usage and which one you shoot better.
For upland field use I prefer an English stock and 26" fixed choke barrels , but for clay games I like a well fitting stock with a nice hand filling grip and 28" or longer barrels with screw-in choke tubes (which is opposite of what you have).

Hmmmm...hard choice; they're both nice guns, so I voted "keep both and shoot them"!

...although if the Beretta had screw in chokes the choice would be pretty easy...at least for me.;)

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what do you want to shoot? skeet, trap, hunt, sporting clays, mess around? if hunt, what type of hunting? or, do you want to keep one and possibly increase in value while you are hangin onto it?

IMO a short 26" barrel and straight stock has limited uses as compared to the beretta.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what do you want to shoot? skeet, trap, hunt, sporting clays, mess around? if hunt, what type of hunting? or, do you want to keep one and possibly increase in value while you are hangin onto it?

IMO a short 26" barrel and straight stock has limited uses as compared to the beretta.

Actually for ME. I prefer a short barrel(upland bird hunting) and a straight stock.
The straight stock is what fits me.
I've owned and still own several of the Auto-5's, Browning Golds, 1100's, mossbergs, Baretta's, and other Italian shotguns in Standard, Monte carlo, Round knob, English Fishtail, and so on. Shoot them ok, but for ME, its the straight english stock.
As you well know, not one stock fits all.
One of these days, I want to get a really custom stock designed for sporting clays. Closest to me is Silver Leaf. Love that place.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Older & wiser men than me say you don't sell guns... you just buy. But my personal opinion is that anything that goes unfired for that long should be sold and the profits should be used to fund the purchase of something you'll want to shoot. I'd sell them both.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 26" Red Label is on my short list. Never handled a straight stock version, but love their balance, and my current O/U is a 26" unit. Excellent for upland birds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom