OHP ride-a-long?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... I think I'll just play it safe and leave the CCW at home. We are in rural NW Oklahoma and it is not quite like N.E. 10th or the southside of okc. I'll take my chances and let my buddy do the shooting if need be.:thumbup3:

Out in the sticks means less backup and longer response times, it seems that you hear more about troopers facing a much more determined breed of criminal out there since the odds of getting away are higher.

Just something to think about when you talk to your friend, give him a ring off duty ask him what he want's you to do. And keep it private. Like I said the official speech and policy must be followed but don't think for a second that a conversation to the effect of "I would rather be unemployed than dead so if things go really wrong and you feel safe do what you have to do." didn't occur.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am curious ... why would anyone think that they could use what is or is not covered in the SDA to address a departmental issue??

Ride-a-longs are a discretionary departmental courtesy, not something a civilian is entitled to. If you are granted permission to go on a ride along it is with the understanding that you will follow departmental policies in that regard and you do sign a waiver to that affect.

ETA: I just realized you are not the OP, so you may not know the answer to my question, which is an honest question by the way and not me being pissy.

I don't know why anyone would think that I was just noticing that the OP posted the bottom of the SDA in red as if that were the portion that made it a no no, and I was merely pointing out that, the bottom paragraph is not saying you shall not carry there.

I am in no way supporting violating departmental policy just discussing the issue with the SDA.

TulsaBandit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went on a ride-along a couple months ago, and the first thing the officer did when we got in the car was show me how to unlock and retrieve the shotgun and AR. He then put a .38 in the glovebox as MY backup.

Ride-alongs are pretty fun and there are a few people that do it so often that the department had to put a limit of 1 per 2 weeks. Some people wanted to do one every night I guess.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You took the cite out of context, ignoring the previous paragraph.

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this
section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended
or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal
governmental authority,

the point is that (for example) the street (attended vehicle) next to a federal courthouse, or its parking lot (unattended vehicle), is not included in the "prohibited place" determination.

welling51

New to the site!
Reaction score
What exactly is a ride-a-long?

a ride a long is when you go out with local LE on there shift there is usually a release form to fill out and sign so if something dose happen you cant get sue happy and most of the time when you request to go on a ride a long the super in charge for the shift has to approve

and on the gun in the car i have rode many time in the last four years and it dose depend on the dept, officer, and super if i can carry when i have been able to it is most of the time left in car avilble to me if need but not actual carried but even if you are not allowed to carry yours weapon the officer normally has back up he will till you where it is

Latest posts

Top Bottom