Old boy scout knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, this is a little spooky now. Along with the knife was my old pinewood derby car! Championship winning car I might add with a trophy somewhere to prove it. Will get my Mom to take a picture and send to me.

I wish I still had mine. It won 2nd place. It was 1978 and it was red with a white stripe just like the Gran Torino in Starsky & Hutch.

1975-ford-gran-torino-starsky-and-hutch-tribute-car.jpg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why I went with green. I want to think that's a weight for the seat. I remember a block of wood, wheels, nails and the axles in a bag.
View attachment 368698

Yup. That's how you got it. Just a square block of wood, four black plastc wheels, two axels and four nails. It was up to your (or your dad) to shape it and paint it.

Pinewood Derby was for the dads more than it was for the scouts/kids.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I still had mine. It won 2nd place. It was 1978 and it was red with a white stripe just like the Gran Torino in Starsky & Hutch.

View attachment 368697
Starsky & Hutch was my favorite TV show, especially the first couple of seasons it was on. I wanted one of those striped tomatoes SO BAD!! I bought my first 1911 because I *thought* that was the gun Starsky carried, only to find out later it wasn't. I guess he did in the pilot episode, but I think the rest of the series it was a S&W 5906 (maybe?). Now I want one of those.... :pms2:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starsky & Hutch was my favorite TV show, especially the first couple of seasons it was on. I wanted one of those striped tomatoes SO BAD!! I bought my first 1911 because I *thought* that was the gun Starsky carried, only to find out later it wasn't. I guess he did in the pilot episode, but I think the rest of the series it was a S&W 5906 (maybe?). Now I want one of those.... :pms2:

It was actually a model 59. The 5906 didn't come out until the mid 80s. And Hutch carried a 6 inch Colt Python. Yeah, it was my favorite show as well. :rolleyes2

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. That's how you got it. Just a square block of wood, four black plastc wheels, two axels and four nails. It was up to your (or your dad) to shape it and paint it.

Pinewood Derby was for the dads more than it was for the scouts/kids.
Yup, my dad 'helped' me with mine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaning out my Dad's garage and ran across either mine or my brother's boy scout all-in-one knife. About 50 years old!

Is there a solution or something I could soak this in to help start getting through all the rust/oxidation? Thanks!View attachment 368681
Your thread got me thinking I had some old scout stuff we found at Mom's estate sale I saved.
Found my canteen and a knife, fork and spoon that were all attached in a cheap plastic holder.
The cutlery is in my hunting backpack with the emergency gear with the canteen on a rack in the man cave.
Too lazy to go out and take a pic tonight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom