Open Carry holster recommendations? Level II or Level III?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations for retention in an OWB open carry style holster. Milt Sparks doesn't make any retention holsters. What are the good brands and models? Does anyone make a quality Level II in leather? Is Level III overkill for everyone except LE?

Thanks.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a Looper for my LC9 from H&H. It's a 2 slot belt holster with a thumb break. I've done some testing with a couple of friends, and it's not coming out. I'm very satisfied with the retention.

Just make sure that whatever you get is designed specifically for that handgun. Don't try to make a holster for a Springfield work for a Ruger of similar size. It doesn't work, even when it seems it would. Don't ask me how I know this.

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, thumb break snap holsters only offer additional retention in the holster while running, etc. They are NOT secure against gun "snatch & grab" attempts. They are typically considered Level I holsters, and can easily be defeated during a violent attack. Another consideration, leather holsters can stretch during a violent gun "snatch & grab" attempt, which can further degrade their retention characteristics. I have personally witnessed a Safariland Level I holster ripped entirely off a duty belt during a full force gun grab demonstration (which is a different issue all together). In other full force-on-force demonstrations, I've watched the "bad guy" remove a blue gun from a Level I thumb snap holster and "shoot" the "good guy" in about 2.5-3 seconds, including the approach, grab and "shoot". And that's when the "good guy" was expecting it.

If you plan to open carry, a Level II or III holster is what you should use. You may find, however, that these type holsters don't have the "style points" that concealed carry holsters have. Some may consider Level II or III holsters big and clunky. Yet they are that way for a reason: to protect against gun grabs.

There may be more stylish Level II/III holsters out there, but I've not seen them. The Blackhawk Sherpa is a Level II holster that I've seen some LEOs use as a duty holster. But I personally think there are safety issues associated with that particular design (references to these issues can be found with a Google search).

Should you decide to open carry with a Level II or III holster, you'll definitely want to practice your draw, as there are some added manipulations of the holster during the draw process that you'll want to commit to muscle memory.

Here's a link to information about Level I-III retention holsters: http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/info/retention.aspx

Latest posts

Top Bottom