Open Carry holster recommendations? Level II or Level III?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my serpa, if you think it's a design flaw, keep your flipping finger off the trigger until you line up the sights. Geee

It may not be a design flaw, but it is certainly a design issue. These types of ND's/AD's aren't happening with other designs, like the Safariland ALS.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a serpa in a class on a range in a sandy area.a small amount of grit got in it and it wouldn't release the gun, we had to spray it out with a water hose to get the gun out

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the video..

1. He was fast drawing.

2. He switched between 2 different styles of firearms. One with a external safety & one without.

3. He switched styles of holsters with safety latches on opposite sides.

4. He covered himself as he drew

5. He drew & cleared his weapon quiet a bit higher than most people. In slow motion, it looked like the end of his barrel was a good 5-6" above the holster before it went off and he still hadn't started to point it at his target. When I draw, I start pointing my weapon at the target just as soon as the tip of the barrel clears the holster... and I don't cover myself.

The fact that he had re-enforced his muscle memory by repetative practice with his Glock earlier in the day using a holster with a thumb activated safety, then switched over to a holster & weapon that functioned completely different later in the day was the only reason he shot himself. His shooting himself had nothing to do with the Serpa II holster's design. Simply not using a Serpa II holster won't fix stupid on the operator's part.

****As for dirt or lint jamming the latch safety mechanism. It appears to me that Blackhawk has changed the design of their holster to alleviate that concern.. as looking inside my holster... the space is open so that debris like grit & lint shouldn't be able to build-up behind the finger activated latch.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone wants to get rid of their Right handed Blackhawk Serpa ALS holster for a Glock G21, Model #410513BK-R (Not Sportster) or the LE Level 2 or 3 model and move on to another brand, PM me. I have one sized for a Commander and have used it for 3"-5" 1911s.
Works fine for me. YMMV.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the video..

1. He was fast drawing.

2. He switched between 2 different styles of firearms. One with a external safety & one without.

3. He switched styles of holsters with safety latches on opposite sides.

4. He covered himself as he drew

5. He drew & cleared his weapon quiet a bit higher than most people. In slow motion, it looked like the end of his barrel was a good 5-6" above the holster before it went off and he still hadn't started to point it at his target. When I draw, I start pointing my weapon at the target just as soon as the tip of the barrel clears the holster... and I don't cover myself.

The fact that he had re-enforced his muscle memory by repetative practice with his Glock earlier in the day using a holster with a thumb activated safety, then switched over to a holster & weapon that functioned completely different later in the day was the only reason he shot himself. His shooting himself had nothing to do with the Serpa II holster's design. Simply not using a Serpa II holster won't fix stupid on the operator's part.

****As for dirt or lint jamming the latch safety mechanism. It appears to me that Blackhawk has changed the design of their holster to alleviate that concern.. as looking inside my holster... the space is open so that debris like grit & lint shouldn't be able to build-up behind the finger activated latch.

I'm not saying that there weren't other problems, or that the holster was even at fault. I was just expressing my own level of comfort carrying that kind of holster. Clearly, your mileage may vary.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone wants to get rid of their Right handed Blackhawk Serpa ALS holster for a Glock G21, Model #410513BK-R (Not Sportster) or the LE Level 2 or 3 model and move on to another brand, PM me. I have one sized for a Commander and have used it for 3"-5" 1911s.
Works fine for me. YMMV.

Quoted for irony of screen name.:rollingla

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom