Optional Powders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two of my go-to rifle powders are 4064, IMR or Accurate, and H4895. Unique and bullseye are probably the most broadly-useful pistol and shotgun powders, you could add Clays to that list. I’m not picky about pistol powder. I was able to buy 15 pounds of N320 a couple of years ago for a song. It works great, and that will probably last the rest of my life.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As previously stated several times already; Unique is a very versatile powder. Another great thing about it is that it is so dirty you can just about replicate black powder clouds in your .45 Colt 😄. I think I still have about 16lbs of it and am dreading when it's all I have left. But I do use it in .357, .41, .44 magnums as well as .45 Colt.

6.5 Creedmoor powders that work great for your more common 130 - 147gr bullet weights, and aren't stooooopidly priced right now like H4350 are H100V, IMR or H4831 (need some barrel length with those), Reloader 16, 17, and 19, and VV N150, N550. Varget and IMR-4064/4895 are good too, but you'll probably want to stick with bullets in the 120 - 123gr range. Varget is still readily selling for $80/lb too so I don't foresee any bargains being found in Tulsa on that one.

I know little about the .45-70 regarding smokeless powder loads. My only rifle in that chambering is an 1881 made trapdoor carbine.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two of my go-to rifle powders are 4064, IMR or Accurate, and H4895. Unique and bullseye are probably the most broadly-useful pistol and shotgun powders, you could add Clays to that list. I’m not picky about pistol powder. I was able to buy 15 pounds of N320 a couple of years ago for a song. It works great, and that will probably last the rest of my life.
I have a pound of 4895 I got for 300wm

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
45-70 needs the one true gunpowder!

Aye! The holy black pushing lead boolits as the good lord intended!
Managed to shoot my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps yesterday for the first time since 2019 before my shoulders fell apart (not related to shooting) and I enjoyed 3 shoulder surgeries is 2020. I'll never be able to shoot it like I used to but I can still manage a dozen or so full house loads with out pain.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Since the topic is optional powders, I thought I would share this. I’ve been wanting to find some Unique which has been scarce as hen’s teeth for a while. This guy has a powder that’s supposedly similar. I ordered some and will report back.
Welcome to Bartlett Reloaders - Jeff Bartlett
Thanks for the link. I just perused his site. Curious as to how you like the powder. I’ve got a couple pounds of Unique but I may be getting ready to use some of it in reduced 45-70. My wife shot her 45-70 with factory loads a couple days ago and I think I’ll load up some lighter loads for her.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom