OU: It's Your Fault We Have Few Black Engineers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna send you back to "diversity training".

I wonder if the void of engineering students is present in Asian and ME students? If not, would that be a result of white privilege as well?
And if I have white privilege, and create offspring, would I be a better parent if I tried to maintain that for my offspring, or better if I tried to buffer any advantage my kids have?
Since whites are a minority, it seems only right that we try to hang on to every advantage we have.

You're supposed to advocate for the betterment of all others, while advocating for the genocide of your own. Where have you been?

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They've had this same type of crusade to get women into computer programming, and with similar ridiculous tactics. Here it is folks, it's as simple as this: As long as you aren't purposefully excluding someone or giving them unequal treatment, your job is FINISHED. Finito. Done. I don't know why suddenly people have got it up their butts that not only do they want to lead the horses to water, they expect them to drink it too! Maybe, just maybe, they culturally don't gravitate to engineering. Maybe that's a problem, maybe it isn't, but it sure as h@#$ isn't the fault of the people going to class for it currently.

Actually, I think I do know. I think that "equality" is now a metric, not a philosophy or idea, and in order to comply, numbers must show your are meeting the goals. Even if there isn't someone checking, I think that's how people perceive it now. If you numbers don't look equal, you must not be offering an equal shot. Garrrrrrrrrbage.

/rant

Edit: Oh yeah, is this the same university where my own brother was involved in a class action lawsuit, because had he been a woman with his same grades and test scores he would have gotten a full scholarship but didn't because he was a white male? Why yes, yes it is.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Middle East and Asian students are about half I think. And they are way more black students then what the media will tell you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Not very PC of me to say that I always assumed they were enrolled in ESL classes, or needed to, by my time on campus. Just cracked me up that of all places at OU that there would be a perceived need for diversity, the engineering dept wouldn't be it.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is BS apologetics of the highest degree,,,
Every black engineering student I have ever encountered did as well as anyone else.

There just aren't many who make the choice to enter the field.

How is it that the situation is somehow my fault?

Aarond

RugerSooner

Speedy Gonzalez
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've discovered during my time on campus, and especially through switching majors, as a white male EVERYTHING is either in part or wholly my fault. You would think that paying them tuition, working on campus, and making grades that allow OU to look good would be enough to earn a little respect. But instead they just keep heaping blame on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Larry hit on it. This is typical knee jerk reaction "metrics". Was OU the one that had that fraternity singing racial crap songs on the bus?
Probably more of the "look what we are doing to increase diversity" metric. JMO

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many apply for degrees in the engineering career field? A better question is how many are qualified to apply-on all ethnic fronts. Things like this have to be earned starting with high school preparation. One doesn't just walk into this field.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/26418/

Prepare to be called ‘racist’: Oklahoma U. College Republicans contest mandatory diversity training
Dave Huber - Assistant Editor •February 27, 2016

Members of the University of Oklahoma’s College Republicans are taking on the five-hour “diversity” course requirement that came about after the infamous Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity “racist chant” scandal.

Students have to fulfill the requirement by the end of their first year or “risk holds on future enrollment.”

The Republicans’ Kylee Williamson said one thing that should warrant an exemption from the course is a religious objection.

“Whenever you have certain (religious) backgrounds, you should be able to get exempt from it because of some of the things that I’ve been told that they teach,” she said. “Whenever I have members coming up to me, telling me this made them uncomfortable, then I feel like it’s something we need to speak out against.”

But member Kyle Meyer notes what is typically heard about such imperatives — that the course is more about a “politically correct learning process” rather than actual diversity.

“I would change the whole idea of inclusive language. I feel that at the college level, feelings are going to be hurt. If you unintentionally hurt someone’s feelings, you should apologize and move on about it.”

The Oklahoma Daily reports:

Meyer said the training limits students’ personal rights and that the course emphasizes how to be politically correct students.

OU College Republicans member Jake Martin, an Arabic studies senior, feels the program’s goals are counterproductive, however, in promoting an inclusive environment.

“What it actually does is it divides the student body into groups based on race,” Martin said. “Instead of focusing on relating to people as other people with intrinsic dignity, the process divides people, sticks them in boxes and then punishes the people who are not diverse enough.”

Martin said he believes his generation is too concerned with being politically correct and that each person can react in any way they choose to words that may not be intentionally offensive.

“If you react negatively, that’s your choice. If you react positively, that’s your choice. If you don’t have an opinion, that’s also a choice,” Martin said. “It’s not somebody else’s responsibility to make sure you’re not offended, especially if you are offended by the truth. It’s up to you how to react.”

Williamson said the CR plan to distribute a survey for student feedback and “potentially author a petition.”

The College Republicans’ next meeting is scheduled for March 7.

Latest posts

Top Bottom