Out of state sales-as the seller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am selling something on Armslist to someone out of state do I have any liability if I sell them something illegal where they live? For example if I sell a high cap mag to someone living in an area where high cap mags are not allowed.

I've asked the buyer if the item is legal to own where they live. They said yes. Is that good enough or do I need to CMA and research it to verify the legality?

Specifically looking at selling high cap rifle mags to an individual living in Commiefornia.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the buyer:

"It is legal for me to own these magazines. I am a law enforcement officer and will be using these for training to cut down on some of the cost or firing my AR.. Thanks again."

This is what the buyer sent me and has already sent me paypal funds. To the LEO's here, is there something I can request form this guy that proves he is an LEO that would not be a ridiculous request? I just don't need to get myself into trouble over something as stupid as a couple of mags.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can NOT import high capacity magazines into states where they are illegal. it is a crime. dealing with law enforcement is a different ball game, but I am not sure I would chance it.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you sell a high Magazine to a state that have laws against them without them being taken apart and sold as a rebuild kit then yes you have a liability.

You will need to check the laws for each state as to what qualifies for rebuild kit or not Or whether or not they allow rebuild kits. You should do it before you even think about sending them out, it's really not even worth the risk or hassle.

Best rule of thumb is only sell magazines and guns out of state that are legal in that state. Better Much better rule of thumb is to not sell out of state at all.

There's plenty of people in the good old state of Oklahoma who will buy your items and do so quite legally

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Daytomann kind of beat me to it: couldn't you ship them disassembled? Then, assembly by the purchaser into an illegal item is on him, not you - you just sold parts.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Daytomann kind of beat me to it: couldn't you ship them disassembled? Then, assembly by the purchaser into an illegal item is on him, not you - you just sold parts.

He sent me a picture of his ID with badge and has his name (which matches his email, which is consistent with how he's signed the emails and there is a picture of him with same name as all others) I am comfortable with it. I did not know he was an LEO at the beginning of the conversation and wouldn't sell them if he wasn't based on my research.

Sidenote: Man California sucks.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why risk selling an illegal hi cap mag out of state? LEO or not...

Keep it legal sell in state. Ill admit that I don't know if you are allowed to sell to LEOs in other states where hi caps are illegal. Not sure why they would get an Exemption in a private sale?

There are things called stings you know. Just not worth it IMHO But good luck to you.

When wondering about Selling into Cali...calguns.net is your friend.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
even still, I would disassemble it and send it as a rebuild kit(as stated above) and let him assemble the magazine.

law enforcement in CA are allowed to buy "high cap" mags, but that doesn't mean you as a private citizen are allowed to import them....

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Selling to a cop is no different than to an individual unless he is authorized to buy them. Even police have to buy through FFL agents!!

I had to register with the state of California in order to ship to them and the buyer had to send me a an authorize key number so that they could be tracked.

California is a messed up place.

Check with the state before shipping them.

here is the email address for the California check station. ([email protected])

Latest posts

Top Bottom