Post your good or bad experiences with online retailers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NewEgg.com -- love the place, been buying from them for years. I am at the point where if I put in an order they expedite without me paying extra. I can order on a Monday and it will be here by Wednesday if coming from a close warehouse and Friday at the latest.

RockAuto.com -- Takes a while to get here since it seems everything comes from Washington, had to return one part due to an issue and as soon as it showed that FedEx had picked it up the other was shipped out. Overall good experience and definitely a cost saver on parts. Got both front hubs and bearings for my pickup for less than what they wanted for one locally. Someone busted the power mirror on my truck and was able to upgrade from the 5x6 to the 6X8 heated ones for less than the regular mirror for one side new locally.

MrRackables on Ebay -- Working on building my new fileserver out. Got a Supermicro 1U rack case with psu, x8dt6-f with two xeon 5606's and 24GB of ECC ram for 315 shipped. I would have spent nearly 200 on the ram alone and the motherboard was going for 130 and up. The Case runs about 150 with the PSU and the cpu's would cost around 40 for both. IMHO it was a steal. Ordered on a Sunday and it was here from SoCal by Friday, Sadly with the storms UPS decided they wasn't going to deliver so I got it Monday.

SurplusAmmo.com -- Bought a few parts from them for my AR, bough the barrel and got a stripped upper for free. From what I understand the AR upper and lowers with their rollmark are made by AeroPrecision and they fit together very well. Got a few other things from them as well and it all shipped fairly quickly.

Freedom Munitions -- picked up a box of reman ammo at one of the ranges and it shot fine. Ordered some direct of .223 .40 and .45 and got a good deal, first time order plus a sale and a discount code and free shipping. 100 round boxes and it cost around 50.00 for everything. All worked just fine so I was happy.

AimSurplus.com -- Actually got my SurplusAmmo from them, was actually how I figured out who SurplusAmmo was. Still got it just a touch cheaper at the time than SurplusAmmo was selling it for. Shipped direct to SSP North.

Brownells -- Picked up a few other parts for the AR from them. Was a pain to find a gas block that was low profile and would fit a bull barrel and not feel like I was getting shafted at the same time. Got a few other pieces as well for less than they were going for on Amazon and a few other places.

Amazon -- Lots of stuff and good prices, the bad thing to me is they are pushing the Prime stuff too far. I know free shipping you can't expect great things but when you make an order and a couple items come from them and another comes from someone else who also offered free shipping and you receive the item from the marketplace shipper BEFORE Amazon can even ship the order something is off. I also mentioned the speed of NewEgg for me, I should also say that is free shipping too. I am seriously getting frustrated with them and the Prime membership for me would be a waste anyway. Maybe it's just me but I think they need to grow in their shipping department, my last two orders from them have taken ten days (7 business days) to show up.

Palmetto State Arms -- Picked up a blackhawk lower build kit when they ACTUALLY had one in stock. Was on sale and the price was great, doesn't hurt that I like the blackhawk grip better than anything else I have come across. The bad thing is there are SO many things that are never in stock, I sometimes wonder if they just leave them out of stock so they can sell higher priced items. Can't remember the shipping time but must not have been too bad since I can't recall.

OverStock Direct Amazon Marketplace -- Needed a MoPar and not a knock off camshaft position sensor for my pickup. Had done the Autozone one and changed it for a replacement off their guaranteed program. Was able to get the MoPar one for 20.10 shipped, Ordered on a Saturday, showed up on Wednesday. Did I mention that the knock off sensor sells for 25? Wish I had gotten this one first but I got the truck with it out so I wanted it up and running ASAP.

Oriely Auto Parts -- I no longer use them, if I have to get something local it's anywhere but. On multiple occasions at different locations I have needed a part, once was rotors, another was a transmission filter, was something else on another. Give them ALL the information and even have the car sitting there. End up with the wrong part, get told "Oh just come exchange it." Which would be fine if I didn't have the car torn apart and putting the old filter back in the transmission sort of DEFEATS THE PURPOSE. After the same thing happening that many times each at a different store I just gave up.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the most part, i have had only great experiences with MidwayUSA since i started purchasing firearm related products and i've made at least 15 purchases from them in the last 7 months. In the past i was an avid Ebayer and Amazon customer. I have had only 2 bad experiences to date with Ebay and it was caused by dill holes posting items that they didn't have to sell. Ebay's resolution center fixed the faulty sale, reimbersed me, and removed the sellers. I've had zero problems with Amazon. I think my favorite online retailer is Crutchfield. I've used that retailer since 1990 and have never had a bad experience with them. The free wire harnesses and installation kits make it worth while to buy from there IMHO. I used to order from TigerDirect alot when I was building PC's until they started substituting poor quality products in place of those high end parts i paid for because they were out of stock. This happened twice on processor purchases. The customer service was friendly, but i think they were smiling and cheery while they were trying to bend me over my desk and make it out to be my fault that they had to inconveniently substitute my order when i ordered something they were out of and their software hadn't updated the quantities on the site when i placed my orders. I stopped using that company. Pricewatch became my new best friend for PC parts. Ordering directly from the manufacturers was cheaper in most cases as well.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good timing for this post...

I ordered a couple of 100 round boxes of CCI Mini Mags from Goose Island Sales this morning. When I was checking out it had a shipment calculator. If I had it shipped to my residence the shipping was over $4 more that if I ship it to work. I chose to have the box shipped to work to save the extra on shipping... only to find out that they are located here in TULSA. They ended up charging me $16.09 for shipping from one address in Tulsa to another. They were quick with a response back about the sales tax but there was no mention of the over charge on the shipping... or my question, could I come pick up the ammo.

In my opinion, their shipping is OUT OF LINE, their customer service seemed overly arrogant and their online order process is misleading as hell. Won't ever buy another round from them even if they have the last one in existence. If you order from the Goose Gang here in Tulsa be prepared to bend over for the shipping.

I just looked at their "About US" section and this might go a long way to explaining your experience with them, Buck:
Goose Island sales began as a small vendor at Metcalf Gun Shows in December of 2012... We only participate in the Metcalf Gun Shows, simply because they are the best advertised gun shows in the state, with the biggest buying crowds. (https://gooseislandsales.com/aboutus.asp)

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mid south shooters midway kifaru intl. rei and Kuiu (backordered items ship free from Kuiu) are all excellent to buy from. I had a bad experience with Natchez shooters supply. Will never buy from them agin. Bought a Lyman digital electronic powder dispenser and it was damaged in transit. They have me the run around so I finally shipped the broken unit back and ordered another from midway. Took forever to get my refund. I only buy outdoor/shooting gear online. Optics planet has always been good to deal with as well (I know others have had issues)

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Camofire/black ovis ... purchased a metric ton of hunting supplies from them over the years and theyre always great to deal with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom