Powder coating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and ideas. Now I guess I will go buy some.

Any suggestions on what you think is the best?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red harbor freight was my favorite coated completly and was glass smooth.

The Harbor freight white is not smooth and does not cover well but that may not be seen on target paper.
Heck wrinkled bullets will shoot as good as non wrinkled ones.

I researched a bunch and the Eastwood light Ford blue was the favorite among many.
I have to agree.

Here is a little quick google search on the subject.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-419158.html

While you are at the cast/coat game you can try softer alloys with the powder coat and see how they shoot.
I do not do hard cast.
The hardest lead I use is clip on wheel weight.
I will mix 50/50 of that and soft lead for pistols other than full house 357 magnum loads.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red harbor freight was my favorite coated completly and was glass smooth.

The Harbor freight white is not smooth and does not cover well but that may not be seen on target paper.
Heck wrinkled bullets will shoot as good as non wrinkled ones.

I researched a bunch and the Eastwood light Ford blue was the favorite among many.
I have to agree.

Here is a little quick google search on the subject.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-419158.html

While you are at the cast/coat game you can try softer alloys with the powder coat and see how they shoot.
I do not do hard cast.
The hardest lead I use is clip on wheel weight.
I will mix 50/50 of that and soft lead for pistols other than full house 357 magnum loads.
I go there often ( castboolits) good information. I usually mix 2 to 1, wheel weights/ pure lead. Looking forward to PC instead of lubing. Thanks

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a variation of shake and bake. I fill an old fry daddy basket with bullets. I put the whole thing in my coating oven for a few minutes to heat the bullets up. You want the bullets hot enough that the way are a little uncomfortable to hold. Then I dump the bullets into a plastic bucket, shake them up with powder, dump and sift. Then i pour all the bullets onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper and bake. When they are done I dump the lot into a bucket of water and stir them by hand to break them up. Run them through a Lee sizer and load.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go there often ( castboolits) good information. I usually mix 2 to 1, wheel weights/ pure lead. Looking forward to PC instead of lubing. Thanks
I could be wrong but I don't worry much about the lead - most is wheel weights and range scrap - I think when I dump the PCd bullets in the sink of water they harden quite a bit - sometimes rifle bullets will break off at the top of a crimped neck in the rare case that I need to pull them - so I suspect they are pretty hard - and I doubt it has any effect on how they shoot = JMO

Latest posts

Top Bottom