Testing Loads on trapped swine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently I have been contacted to see if I want some hogs that have been trapped in live traps.
YES!
Well they are sitting ducks and I figured I could test some loads out on them and see if they drop where they stand.

Yep.
One load I used yesterday was one i have killed a lot of small critters with. Possum etc.
.308 100 gr cast powder coated bullet 664 fps and this load does not expand the case neck.
Correct no need to resize the case ever.

I shot 2 with that load that were in the 100 lb weight range one in the top of the head and one got one in the side of the head all towards the brain.
Both instantly fell over and stayed there.

Good to know.

Next round I was wanting to try was a bullet I recently purchased and it is expanding the case.
110 V-Max in .308 with 47 gr of Varget.
That one went into the top of the skull and bulged the eyeballs out of the hogs head.
That one absolutely works.
I pretty much knew it would.

Heck a .22 to the top of the head will end a hog so this is nothing new.
I really wanted to try the slow 100 gr soft cast load.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was young (a long time ago) we used to raise a couple hogs every year to butcher on New Years Day. Brother and I would fight to see who got to use the single shot Stevens 22 to put down the hog. Used 22 shorts, better not miss or it would mean trouble from Dad. This was back in the early '60s , still have that 22 in the safe.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently I have been contacted to see if I want some hogs that have been trapped in live traps.
YES!
Well they are sitting ducks and I figured I could test some loads out on them and see if they drop where they stand.

Yep.
One load I used yesterday was one i have killed a lot of small critters with. Possum etc.
.308 100 gr cast powder coated bullet 664 fps and this load does not expand the case neck.
Correct no need to resize the case ever.

I shot 2 with that load that were in the 100 lb weight range one in the top of the head and one got one in the side of the head all towards the brain.
Both instantly fell over and stayed there.

Good to know.

Next round I was wanting to try was a bullet I recently purchased and it is expanding the case.
110 V-Max in .308 with 47 gr of Varget.
That one went into the top of the skull and bulged the eyeballs out of the hogs head.
That one absolutely works.
I pretty much knew it would.

Heck a .22 to the top of the head will end a hog so this is nothing new.
I really wanted to try the slow 100 gr soft cast load.
Just so you know, a 17hmr to the top of a pig’s head isn’t always a sure thing. :blush:

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just so you know, a 17hmr to the top of a pig’s head isn’t always a sure thing. :blush:
I've never been impressed with a .17HMR, had a really nice Savage when they first came out. Shot well but power was not impressive at all. Rather have a .22 mag any day.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you at least let them out and give them a chance? :)
I did not but the guy that trapped them was wondering how well it would do at a farther distance and mentioned turning one loose :)
He also stated after the 15th of Jan. it was back on for rifle hunting them.
I think I may try my hand at popping them at 60 yards or so in the ear area and see if they fall over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom