Precious Metal stacking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that something that tests the surface or goes completely to the core?

In the article I linked above they found tungsten inside the gold bars. Kinda sounded like they claimed in the article it was only possible to check by cutting the bars open!

Trouble is, I dont think everyone will have a XRF analyzer for @SNAKE PLISSKEN's shtf scenario.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that something that tests the surface or goes completely to the core?

In the article I linked above they found tungsten inside the gold bars. Kinda sounded like they claimed in the article it was only possible to check by cutting the bars open!

Trouble is, I dont think everyone will have a XRF analyzer for @SNAKE PLISSKEN's shtf scenario.
https://www.atecorp.com/solutions/xrf-analysis

“Precious Metals​

• For jewelers, an XRF instrument detects metals that are non-standard, under-karated, or counterfeit, and cannot be deciphered by standard methods like acid testing.”
There are also the traditional acid test kits.

https://www.goldandsilvertesting.com/products/gold-and-silver-jewelry-test-kit

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.atecorp.com/solutions/xrf-analysis

“Precious Metals​

• For jewelers, an XRF instrument detects metals that are non-standard, under-karated, or counterfeit, and cannot be deciphered by standard methods like acid testing.”
There are also the traditional acid test kits.

https://www.goldandsilvertesting.com/products/gold-and-silver-jewelry-test-kit
I dont think those methods will tell if there is a tungsten core inside 2 halves of pure gold

Or a lead core inside a pure silver bar or even a lead core inserted in the center of a antique US minted silver dollar.

I believe those tests will tell you what the outer metal is!

And I believe there are testers to tell the thickness of plating, but even those have limits

I would hate to be the one who takes gold or silver as payment for goods or services (in the so called shtf scenario), only to find out down the line when I go to trade them for something big like land or new paper currency (after the civilized world snaps back of course), they some (or all) are not solid through with the base metal I thought I was getting that I traded for.

That is why I dont see precious metals as a good thing for shtf. To me it is a false sense of security.

Now I can understand it as a means to (try) to) keep wealth while the currency of one country fails while those around it are stable. (Provided you can get what you need where your at, or get to another country.)

And if you abandon your castle for some other country, someone or some group is goint to cart away everything you left behind (which could be more valuable than the gold you are carrying)

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont think those methods will tell if there is a tungsten core inside 2 halves of pure gold

Or a lead core inside a pure silver bar or even a lead core inserted in the center of a antique US minted silver dollar.

I believe those tests will tell you what the outer metal is!

And I believe there are testers to tell the thickness of plating, but even those have limits

I would hate to be the one who takes gold or silver as payment for goods or services (in the so called shtf scenario), only to find out down the line when I go to trade them for something big like land or new paper currency (after the civilized world snaps back of course), they some (or all) are not solid through with the base metal I thought I was getting that I traded for.

That is why I dont see precious metals as a good thing for shtf. To me it is a false sense of security.

Now I can understand it as a means to (try) to) keep wealth while the currency of one country fails while those around it are stable. (Provided you can get what you need where your at, or get to another country.)

And if you abandon your castle for some other country, someone or some group is goint to cart away everything you left behind (which could be more valuable than the gold you are carrying)
An XRF analyzes the whole object not just the plating. Proven technology that’s been used for sometime now.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody paying attention to the spot market? Kitco bid on silver may hit $27/ozt today! I've had some Commonwealth silver listed for a while now and haven't raised any prices. Today it goes to a dealer. I can't pass on this premium.

Latest posts

Top Bottom