Preppers and fitness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal7

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the middle ages, the average person walked an average of around 18 miles a day. If the average American had to walk half of that we'd have a wave of heart attacks. There is a guy at my work who walks from his vehicle to his office and is sweating and completely spent after that short walk. If we truly had an EMP event, we'd lose a LOT of people to innocuous, forced exercise.

Great thread!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the middle ages, the average person walked an average of around 18 miles a day. If the average American had to walk half of that we'd have a wave of heart attacks. There is a guy at my work who walks from his vehicle to his office and is sweating and completely spent after that short walk. If we truly had an EMP event, we'd lose a LOT of people to innocuous, forced exercise.

Great thread!

That means more stuff for the ones that make it, plus refines the gene pool a bit more. I'm all for it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Great thread!

One weekend at the lake, son and I were cooking on the pit when 2 cars pull into the spot across the road from us. Each car has 2 guys, I'm guessing college students or that age anyway. All 4 looked to be in good shape. They pull a box out of 1 car and proceed to keystone cop assemble their new tent. After 45 minutes and numerous arguments, 2 walk away telling the other 2 geniuses to handle it, they are going to fix dinner. They go to the other car and unpack the microwave and 4 TV dinners. When the SHTF, I don't believe it will be the forced exercise that eliminates these 4 from the gene pool. :twocents:

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in excellent physical shape. ...................not

I dont have much fat on me but thats a bad thing cuz I wouldnt have much for my body to feed off of if I went an extended amount of time without food.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^but you can perhaps catch someone who is not so fit. Protein is protein, and I'm thinking one of those 30 inch Wal Mart waddling thighs would be good on the smoker.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The heart is a muscle. Heavy resistance training, ie strength training is known to increase muscle mass even in the heart.

Lungs can't be buff. They aren't muscle. While resistance training uses ATP for energy it also can create oxygen deficits during high reps which helps the body adapt to low oxygen levels. Long slow distance exercise like jogging uses oxidation for energy and helps the body adapt to more efficient use of oxygen.

The best training for cardio-respiratory fitness is strength training. Just because the fitness industry tied the word cardio to bikes and treadmills doesn't make it true. It's like all the bs about "core" training. Sheeple like buzz words.

Lol I was using the heart and lungs buff reference in layman' terms.
Maintaining at least a base level of all around fitness is a great thing. Your body will be more efficient and some basic strength training on a regular basis will help keep you from injuring yourself if you unexpectedly find yourself under exertion. Very few people are personal trainers, fitness experts, athletes or even fitness enthusiast and time is a premium commodity for most people.
But it's something to think about. Without getting to technical, Anything you can do as long as its consistent and yields results would be beneficial.

catvtony

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, Reddog's EMP thread had me thinking. Everyone is so concerned about their vehicles getting fried. If a nasty EMP happens the vast majority of folks are gonna be without vehicles. Is this safe to assume?

So the next fastest and convenient form of transpo may be bicycle.
The thing is, riding a bicycle at a moderate pace, long distance or with a load in tow ain't easy for the average joe.

For those of you that prep, who keeps their fitness level at a high level?
Does it matter to you?

Remeber the first rule in Zombyland...................Cardio!

Latest posts

Top Bottom