Printed AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After actually reading his posts, note that the material he used is durable but it requires a fancy, expensive 3D printer. A MakerBot, what that guy calls a "low cost" printer, is like $2000 and uses a much less durable plastic.

You realize what you are saying is an oxymoron? The maker bot Being $2,200 is a STEAL, the same technology 5 years ago would cost you upwards of $250,000!!! and that is just initial outlay! Just amazing that aforementioned equipment cost is outrageous, when its as accessible as anything could be, for the price of a single expensive rifle you can soon have the ability to print parts as needed...ya thats pricey.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You realize what you are saying is an oxymoron? The maker bot Being $2,200 is a STEAL, the same technology 5 years ago would cost you upwards of $250,000!!! and that is just initial outlay! Just amazing that aforementioned equipment cost is outrageous, when its as accessible as anything could be, for the price of a single expensive rifle you can soon have the ability to print parts as needed...ya thats pricey.

^^^ Fail.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will argue with anyone that using traditional manufacturing methods with commonly available raw materials is FAR, FAR less expensive and more efficient than the use of exotic sintered materials and 3D printers unable to achieve repeatable tolerances.

Materials have a long, long way to go before a production analog is found in 3D printing.

I take it you didn't read the article I listed?

In other words, don't try to say it can't be done to the guy who's already doing it.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take it you didn't read the article I listed?

In other words, don't try to say it can't be done to the guy who's already doing it.

My reading comprehension should be better. I obviously missed the part where superalloys have replaced iron, steel, and aluminum.

I should have said "Materials have a long, long way to go before a production analog is found in 3D printing."

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ Fail.

Yeah I don't think reading comprehension is his strong suit.

Every time he posts I almost say something snarky about a certain video he may or may not have posted a while back, that may or may not be showing off his firearm collection, that may or may not have also had drug paraphernalia in the background.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My reading comprehension should be better. I obviously missed the part where superalloys have replaced iron, steel, and aluminum.

I should have said "Materials have a long, long way to go before a production analog is found in 3D printing."

Are you implying that people aren't printing in steel, aluminum, etc?

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think reading comprehension is his strong suit.

Every time he posts I almost say something snarky about a certain video he may or may not have posted a while back, that may or may not be showing off his firearm collection, that may or may not have also had drug paraphernalia in the background.

OH NO! DRUG PARAPHENALIA! Get over it and off your high horse, you are certainly not in a position to judge, and it's none of your business what I may or may not do in my house...So honestly could care less what you think of me. How much alcohol or how many prescription drugs do you consume, because they are a far bigger boon to our society and kill more people every day than marijuana has ever, because it doesn't kill people, it heals them, narrow minded sheep goes "baaaaa".

Just wait until I post up links to my marijuana farm in Colorado, then you can scream blasphemy to the heavens.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you implying that people aren't printing in steel, aluminum, etc?

No not implying that, however I am explicitly saying that "materials have a long, long way to go before a production analog is found in 3D printing."

...in response to those declaring traditional manufacturing is a goner because of a new, fantastic production method that really isn't new - but has captured the fascination of the fanbois and hobbyists to the degree they are making sweeping claims.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No not implying that, however I am explicitly saying that "materials have a long, long way to go before a production analog is found in 3D printing."

...in response to those declaring traditional manufacturing is a goner because of a new, fantastic production method that really isn't new - but has captured the fascination of the fanbois and hobbyists to the degree they are making sweeping claims.

I didn't realize the ability to 3D print functional parts from metals such as aluminum, titanium, steel, and cobalt chrome was old tech. Please tell us how long that has been done.

Fanboys:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocent...-the-future-10-trends-to-come-in-3d-printing/

http://news.yahoo.com/3d-printing-change-absolutely-everything-touches-054625088.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/daniel-burrus/3d-printing-additive-manu_b_1951777.html

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OH NO! DRUG PARAPHENALIA! Get over it and off your high horse, you are certainly not in a position to judge, and it's none of your business what I may or may not do in my house...So honestly could care less what you think of me. How much alcohol or how many prescription drugs do you consume, because they are a far bigger boon to our society and kill more people every day than marijuana has ever, because it doesn't kill people, it heals them, narrow minded sheep goes "baaaaa".

Just wait until I post up links to my marijuana farm in Colorado, then you can scream blasphemy to the heavens.

sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound of you perjuring yourself on a 4473 form and then posting video evidence online

Latest posts

Top Bottom