Profanity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really feel a need to give a reason or justification for how I talk, but some that immediately come to mind are:

1. It's funny
2. Emphasis
3. Social lubricant
4. It offends uptight people (which takes us back to #1)

Experience has taught me that cursing or the absence thereof certainly has no correlation with class or intelligence.

I've never really understood why religious people object to it, outside of the phrases that take the Lord's name in vain.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really feel a need to give a reason or justification for how I talk, but some that immediately come to mind are:

1. It's funny
2. Emphasis
3. Social lubricant

Experience has taught me that cursing or the absence thereof certainly has no correlation with class or intelligence.

I've never really understood why religious people object to it, outside of the phrases that take the Lord's name in vain.

www.mylespaul.com_forums_images_smilies_thumb.gif

hfa68

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1. It's funny
2. Emphasis
3. Social lubricant

^^^^ Yea this!!!! :clap3:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1. It's funny
2. Emphasis
3. Social lubricant

:yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap:

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think bad language is a lack of intelligence, I think it shows a lack of maturity and a need to be accepted by others. I guess I could understand the military thing, but I still remember when I was a kid, maybe around 8 years old or so, me and my brother said we wouldn't tell on each other if we started cussing, I sure felt grown up during that time. I really don't get the sexually fowl language and gestures between guys when they're in a group, really you can't think of anything else to say or do? And a comedian who thinks he has to just blurt out cuss words probably isn't as funny as he thinks he is. Going by my younger years when I didn't care, some of the funniest people were those who didn't feel the need to cuss to be funny.

6 Strings

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I heard a story of how Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor used to get in epic verbal fights. Burton never used profanity and one day Taylor (who had used copious amounts of profanity) asked Burton why he never swore or cussed. His reply was to the effect of, “I have better command of the English language that I do not need to use profanity.”

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard a story of how Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor used to get in epic verbal fights. Burton never used profanity and one day Taylor (who had used copious amounts of profanity) asked Burton why he never swore or cussed. His reply was to the effect of, “I have better command of the English language that I do not need to use profanity.”

...and look where that got him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom