PSO charging me for a deadbeat renter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
165:35-24-1 of OCC code: Denial of service to a consumer

"The utility may not require a payment of unpaid utility bills of any other person as a condition of furnishing utility service."

Seems if the account was truly in the last tenant's name then they are just trying to strong arm you.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
165:35-24-1 of OCC code: Denial of service to a consumer

"The utility may not require a payment of unpaid utility bills of any other person as a condition of furnishing utility service."

Seems if the account was truly in the last tenant's name then they are just trying to strong arm you.

There ya go. Unless it was kept in the landlord's name... which is pretty risky behavior from the landlord, if you ask me. No way I'd do that as an owner.

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you might call and ask to speak to a supervisor, this has been done successfully in other states but I have not heard of it in ok. util co tried to get this passed a few years ago with no success. several small towns that resell utilities have tried this in ok , but don't know if it is legal or not. they charge a deposit and when the renter is behind its not the landlords fault the util co doesn't disconnect service. if this is legal why would util co turn off service when they can hold the property owner hostage at a later date?

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Never doubt the resolve of an angry woman!"

While I've been at work all day, my wife was able to call to a PSO area supervisor and straighten it out. It truly was a case of an agency trying to hustle someone to get their money any way they could. They're almost as bad as hospitals that bill patients before they've straightened out all the charges with insurance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom