Public Hunting Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We hunted on a PHA out in western OK over the weekend and it was funny but aggravating dealing with people who have no idea what they are doing. One of our guys had a good buck coming into his stand and the buck looks up real fast and scoots out in a hurry. Then this dog shows up and behind it, a guy walking along drinking coffee. Not a hunter but some guy that used to hunt the area a lot and just showed up Fri night to say Hi to some of the guys (there are several camps of guys that are always there on opening weekend every year). You would think of all people, this guy would know better than to be walking around messing up other peoples hunts at 8:30 am on opening morning but he didn't seem to care. My brother was about to draw on a doe Sun morning when it spooked and he looked up and 2 guys were walking around with crossbows. Again, it was 8:30 am. They looked up and saw him and yelled, "You seeing anything?" He said, "I was just about to shoot a deer right here when you spooked it!" I guess that is just the joy of hunting on public land.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We hunted on a PHA out in western OK over the weekend and it was funny but aggravating dealing with people who have no idea what they are doing. One of our guys had a good buck coming into his stand and the buck looks up real fast and scoots out in a hurry. Then this dog shows up and behind it, a guy walking along drinking coffee. Not a hunter but some guy that used to hunt the area a lot and just showed up Fri night to say Hi to some of the guys (there are several camps of guys that are always there on opening weekend every year). You would think of all people, this guy would know better than to be walking around messing up other peoples hunts at 8:30 am on opening morning but he didn't seem to care. My brother was about to draw on a doe Sun morning when it spooked and he looked up and 2 guys were walking around with crossbows. Again, it was 8:30 am. They looked up and saw him and yelled, "You seeing anything?" He said, "I was just about to shoot a deer right here when you spooked it!" I guess that is just the joy of hunting on public land.

Only one place out west that fits this mold. I personally enjoy hunting public ground. It gives an extra twist to the hunt. It can be extremely frustrating at times, but it teaches you to adapt and overcome. I am sorry for your tough time, but it sure beats doing a lot of other things.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people "hunt" for conversation. You used to see em at check stations standing around talking about the buck they killed in '97. These guys are often last in the field and first to leave. They don't want to miss the "hunt" for the next good hunting story they heard at the coffee shop or deer camp.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is still a great place to hunt and yes bassin, I have been around those guys a bunch too and I do like a good story. Maybe I'll be one of those guys one of these days and just walk around and visit with people in their stands. I think my dad would much rather do that than to sit there being still.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'bout the same as those folks riding horses around Lexington WMA on opening weekend of Dove season. Just gotta scratch your head and wonder.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you brought up hunting on public land, I have to share this story that happened to me a few years ago. I was hunting near a road up in my stand, and about 8:00 am I hear a truck drive up and people talking. A few minutes later I see this lady stalking through the trees walking right toward me. She gets about 15 yards from my tree and still doesn't see me. What does she do? She looks around real careful to see if anybody is around and drops her drawers. By then it's to late for me to say anything, so I'm just looking and hoping she doesn't look up. She stands there bent over, I guess looking for ticks on her pantyhose. Eventually she just sets down right there. Again, it's to late to say anything, so I'm just setting there waiting for her to look up, and eventually she does. I hear her say Oh SH??? and she just gets up and walks back to their truck.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought on most public hunting areas they were closed to non hunting activities. It almost sounds like harassment which is illegal I believe. Walking your dog through the woods during deer season isn't too smart.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I thought on most public hunting areas they were closed to non hunting activities. It almost sounds like harassment which is illegal I believe. Walking your dog through the woods during deer season isn't too smart.

they are but most folks who have been riding their horses,walking their dogs, pissing in the woods,etc all year. have no clue what the season dates are. and most of the time our game wardens are understaffed or taking care of tresspassing calls. all that being said, i've kida wanted to go back and hunt some public ground. we're lucky to have some good areas in oklahoma. its all part of the game...

Latest posts

Top Bottom