Puerto Rico applies for statehood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no compelling reason to allow this. They offer us nothing except good soldiers in the military. There is no strategic value for us to have them as a state, crime is very high, debt is very high, democrats through and through. It has served them well with being democrat because of all the welfare and such.

When will the US stop being a welfare state? We do not have enough jobs for our own citizens let alone import both legal and illegal. I would like to see a moratorium on all immigration for 10 years. Then we can assimilate the immigrants we have now. With technology changing such as kiosk for checkout, ordering, self driving cars and semis, and more and more manufacturing being done by robots. These jobs will go away and not be filled by other jobs. We are at a point in history that the world has never been in. This is why universal income has been discussed and will I am sure be a thing in the future. So why would we want or need more immigrants? why would we want to water down and dilute any universal income to the masses?

Puerto Ricans are already US citizens so we won't be "cutting them loose" any time soon unless the island residents choose to disassociate themselves from the US and surrender their citizenship. They also do not immigrate to the US since they are a part of the US they merely move around like any other US citizens. It is perfectly legitimate to have restrictions or requirements on foreigners seeking to enter the US but citizens are free to move around in the US...period...dot.

As for offering Statehood...I say absolutely not until they get their financial house in order their current debt load is very bad.

Last edited:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the ramifications of California splitting into 3 states than I am about Puerto Rico gaining statehood.

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Three_States_Initiative_(2018)

I think we'll see a lot more initiatives like these in the near future. The Dims are wrong about damn near everything IMHO, but they are capable of simple arithmetic. Any "new" state being floated around is simply an attempt at getting more senators from blue states.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we'll see a lot more initiatives like these in the near future. The Dims are wrong about damn near everything IMHO, but they are capable of simple arithmetic. Any "new" state being floated around is simply an attempt at getting more senators from blue states.

I'm not sure you've sized this one up correctly. The initiatives to split up California are NOT coming from Liberals but rather from disaffected (relatively) Conservative quarters who feels that the dominant coastal cities are leaving the the more Conservative interior and rural communities without a voice. The split movements are not being embraced by Sacramento or the Democrat party.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure you've sized this one up correctly. The initiatives to split up California are NOT coming from Liberals but rather from disaffected (relatively) Conservative quarters who feels that the dominant coastal cities are leaving the the more Conservative interior and rural communities without a voice. The split movements are not being embraced by Sacramento or the Democrat party.

This is true and also PR is at a tipping point in it's politics. A lot of people there are REALLY fed up with the corruption going on and the hurricane and efforts to rebuild is bringing it to a head. There are new investigations by the FBI and others into them demanding bribes to turn on power, into the mayor diverting supplies to political cronies, her holding back more supplies to attack Trump over, etc, etc, etc. It may not become a red state anytime soon but the Democrats running it are going to have a lot tougher time.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom