Question about optics for M4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there is a front sight sticking up in front of any optic on a M4.. its going to interfere. However, it wont interfere at the level where you are unable to use said eotech or ACOG if thats what he means by “Trijicon”. If the person is dead set on the old school gas gas block front sight thing.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends. If using the old “close one eye and look through the optic” approach, an unmagnified optic will have significant amount of interference in the complete sight picture from a front sight post. A magnified optic, not so much, as the optic typically will be paralaxed/focused out much further than the end of the rifle.

If the shooter uses the trusty Bindon Aiming Concept, it doesn’t matter what is in front of it. I can leave my front objective cover on my illuminated LPVO/red dot/reflex optic and still shoot/aim just fine, in spite of having the front of my optic completely covered . It actually works really well for me/better than traditional aiming in spite of having eye dominance issues due to an injury.

https://www.trijicon.com/community/post/bindon-aiming-concept-article

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, occluded sights were around long before Mr. Bindon came up with the "Binding aiming concept" . The Swedish company that morphed into Armson had a battery powered occluded gun sight in the late 60,s. Matter of fact, those sights were on many of the rifles used in the Son Tay raid to recover US POWs from Hanoi.
Down side of occluded gun sights is they tend to drift left or right depending on astigmatism, but they certainly work... ie a closed front scope cover as mentioned by Mr. Chit.
More to the point, with a magnified optic you don't really notice the front post, and if your running a red dot like an Aim-Point or Eo-Tech the dot will sit on the front sight post, or slightly above depending on mount and in no way hinders general use of the optic/ dot. If your running a dot it allows the use of a flip up back up rear sight for when you forget to replace the battery

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely. If it’s an MRO, a 1.93 or 2.26 mount. Eotech you can use a riser or a leap/12 mount. Just be aware 2.26 is too tall for some.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The low buck option if it gets in the way, Cut down the existing front site so it’s just a low profile gas block.

Just an option.

Attachments

• 686158AC-24EF-462D-9844-F7F58AD96D30.png
    686158AC-24EF-462D-9844-F7F58AD96D30.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ran an experiment. I have a DD rail mount front site that I just mounted on a rifle with a 1-4 scope on it. At 1X the front sight was clearly visible. As I adjusted up it got fuzzy at 2X, nearly disappeared at 3X, and you could only notice a slight shadow at the bottom of the FOV at 4X.