Question about Rem 700 and Detachable Mags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I know you'd have to cut the stock, mine is designed for the ADL internal mag. I don't know if you can even do that, since there is an aluminum block in the stock, which would likely prevent opening the bottom.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can modify most of the good after market stocks for DM Bottom Metal from all of the research I've been doing, but I can tell you that by the time you buy the BM and the stock, you can get an AICS 1.5 for about the same price.

I mean a nice stock will cost you 350-400 plus the BM costing $300 and you can get an AICS for $800.. AICS is considered the ultimate in sniper stocks.

I just picked up a BNIB AICS on another board for $769 shipped... I just couldn't justify buying to items to make them work when I could get the stock I wanted with all of the accessories for the same price.

Deals are to be had if you look around. You can learn a lot more about this over on Snipers Hide...
J

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out www.mcreeprecision.com I have read alot of very favorable reviews on them and you do not have to buy seperate bottom metal because it is made into the stock. The stock is modular so you can change out foreends and buttstocks with a wrench.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a stock I like that has the mag cut out. So if I buy it, do I have to buy the mag system too?

If you buy a stock that is already inleted for a box-mag system (depending on the mag system), it probably won't work with ADL bottom metal.

I think your Choate can be inleted for at least HS Precision Detachable magazine-style bottom metal (I don't know how much "meat" is in there around the aluminum or plastic, but surely its enough for some sort of detachable mag system).

The issue is that if it doesn't have enough material in there, when you take some away to fit a box mag system inside, it will structurally weaken the stock's bedding block. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the Choate stock.

I would look at getting a different stock in all honesty - if you inlet that Choate, it is only going to work with that particular bottom metal and most folks who are buying Choate stocks aren't looking to put bottom metal in them as its pretty much a budget stock - this will definitely hurt your ability to sell it later.

Look at the Bell Carlson Medalist stocks - they can be had for around $200 and can be inletted for bottom metal (and are nice enough that if you go to sell it after you inlet it for bottom metal, you can probably sell it).

If you want a quality stock that is above and beyond the B&C, then look at the Manners or McMillian - and at that point, JesseR is right when he says that a good stock of that quality and bottom metal is going to cost about the same as an AICS stock system (though a lot of folks don't car for the feel of the AICS or its thumb-hole).

Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy in Jones can inlet stocks. He's reasonable on his prices as well.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would try and find a take off PSS stock for around $50 bucks or so and snag a used H-S mag setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom