Questions for LEO and or OHP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know by law if I see an emergency Vehicle coming my direction on a non interstate road with no divided median I need to pull over no matter which direction the emergency vehicle is going. I also have seen and not pulled over when the emergency vehicle is going the opposite direction on a divided highway like the inerstate of state divided highways. I have pulled over with traffic on the same side of a divided highway (non interstate) as an emergency vehicle is behind me. However does that same rule apply to the interstate. I have almost been wrecked out by folks pulling over on the same side of the intersate and I have seen vehicles continue with flow of traffic and let the emergency vehicle around them. Pleae clear this up for me.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So your question is whether you should pull over on a divided highway with ambulance traveling in the opposite direction?

I don't know about the law, but in my experience when the highway is divided nearly every car going the opposite way continues onward, pulling over doesnt hinder or help the emergency vehicle's ability to proceed in this situation. The only exception is on smaller divided highways (two lanes each direction) I've seen a few cars going the opposite way pull over, bigger highways not at all though.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So your question is whether you should pull over on a divided highway with ambulance traveling in the opposite direction?

I don't know about the law, but in my experience when the highway is divided nearly every car going the opposite way continues onward, pulling over doesnt hinder or help the emergency vehicle's ability to proceed in this situation. The only exception is on smaller divided highways (two lanes each direction) I've seen a few cars going the opposite way pull over, bigger highways not at all though.

Yeah and that is what I have always done but I once was in Tulsa on 244 and was almost wrecked out by folks in front stopping hard and pulling over and I saw happen again on today on 240. funny thing was some were pulled over and one dude had the OKCPD driving up is arse for not paying attention.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law is to slow down and YIELD, OR pull off the road, which does not mean stop every time to me. Only time I pull off the road is if there isn't a clear path for them to take. Any other time, I slow down and yield as far to the side of the road that is safe. People get way over excited when they see cherries and blue berries or hear sirens.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law is to slow down and YIELD, OR pull off the road, which does not mean stop every time to me. Only time I pull off the road is if there isn't a clear path for them to take. Any other time, I slow down and yield as far to the side of the road that is safe. People get way over excited when they see cherries and blue berries or hear sirens.

Not so much. You're confusing 2 separate statutes.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?citeid=391386

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=82296

Latest posts

Top Bottom