Radio Anomoly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something kind of weird, don't know if anyone will really be interested. Anyway, I decided that I wanted to mess around with amateur radio a little so I've been studying for the technician exam (I'll be taking it next week). In the mean time I got a cheap little Baofeng hand held radio to play with and listen to repeaters until I get my license. A neat little radio, it can tune a lot of frequencies outside of what is legal for a ham to use. It can even tune the FRS frequencies, even though you can't legally use this radio to transmit on those freqs. Anyhow, I programmed the FRS freqs into my radio just because I can monitor them if nothing else. What's weird is that someone is constantly breaking squelch on what would be FRS channel 5. Squelch breaks about once a second and has been for days. I live down here on the south end of Norman near the 77/ 9 interchange. Has anyone else noticed it? Are the black helicopters coming for us all??? Perhaps the low men in yellow coats? All kidding aside, I'm kind of curious why it is...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it go away if you adjust the squelch? Probably interference from a nearby transmitter...either direct or harmonic.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're probably dealing with intermod. Keep in mind the Baofengs have about the cheapest and crappiest design possible. They are an ok backup or extra radio for a ham that understands the downsides of using bad gear, but you will frustrate yourself to death trying to use one as a new ham.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those things have horrible internal "birdies" and it happens even on frequencies they are supposed to be designed to work, i.e. the ham bands. They make the Mannford UHF link system repeater unusable on 442.000.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I got to wondering if the problem was in the radio itself and dug out an old FRS walkie talkie to see if it was catching the same signal. I tuned up channel five, and lo and behold, there it is. I'm thinking of making a game of trying to locate it. I shouldn't be as interested as I am in it, but I can't help it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom