Recommend an AK ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
never owned an AK and looking for some advice and recommendations on one.. I would like something I could mod but not to extreme $$ maybe a few readily available parts and aesthetics, would like the bolt to lock back when empty.. wood furniture preferred but not a deal breaker..

I've read up on many available but that was before the ban in 94 so its been quite a while.. I've also googled before posting this and my mind is swimming with all the options/opinions from various forums..

what is a good starter AK that you would recommend that wouldn't break the bank..?

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well what do you know, just so happens I'm going over there Monday...

I'll have to check them out when I'm there..

btw, lockback isn't mandatory just a convenience as my russian sks is a pain to deal with mag changes...

also forgot to mention I'm only interested in 7.62

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AK's don't have lock back. It's not part of the design.

You can "fake" lockback by buying magazines with special followers that hold the bolt open when the mag is empty (Yugo magazines). However, as soon as you pull the magazine out, the bolt will slam forward as AK's don't have lockback capability in the design. You will then have to rack the bolt to load a bullet from a freshly loaded mag.

I don't like Yugo style magazines that hold the bolt open while empty because it makes doing fast reloads harder. The bolt is putting a lot of pressure on the magazine follower, so doing fast reloads like using the new magazine to slap the mag catch to knock the empty mag out is harder to do with the bolt now also applying pressure to the magazine.

Don't expect to run your AK like an AR. You'll have to learn the new weapons system and battery of arms. You'll learn to immediately reload when you hear the "click" of an empty chamber and quickly insert a new mag and then reach under or over to rack the charging handle back with each new reload. Just the reality of running an AK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom