Recommendations for 24x30/40 Shop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cause they build pole barns and not metal buildings with slab/foundations

I'm a broke ass and can't afford 30K+ for a building. I got to buy a boat, fix a dock, pour a patio and fish cleaning station, buy a wheeler etc etc... Still researching but 18K for what I need with concrete will work fine. If it blows over insurance will buy a new one.

My parents have one similar and it still looks new and is 20+ years old

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree.... you wont be replacing the 5x5 or 6x6 post they put in the ground in 10 years I promise... my last one is 10 years old and still perfect.. the mechanic that works on all of my shop trucks has a pole barn. It was there when I first started using him and that was 23 years ago LOL I am also broke and can't afford a completely built out of steel building. Wish I could. Pole barns are great honestly. You can screw anything to the wall girts. You can run all your conduit or flexible MC behind the studs. My 30 by 30 was built by Better Built structures out of Sapulpa but I don't think they're in business anymore other than building small sheds I don't think they do pole barns. The only issue I had with them was the concrete that they'd subcontracted out. The concrete was fine but they sent a guy out on a Sunday to do my saw cuts and he had been drinking and my saw cuts were completely crooked and had a bunch of messed up Cuts everywhere it was horrible. But it wasn't their fault but they also said there was nothing they could do about it. I went through a divorce a couple years ago and now I'm in the process of trying to find a company to build me one. Have you talked to Superior structures? OrJAG? Midwest, there's some guy on Craigslist out of Owasso. I don't have Facebook but I was wondering if there was anyone that advertised on there.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree.... you wont be replacing the 5x5 or 6x6 post they put in the ground in 10 years I promise... my last one is 10 years old and still perfect.. the mechanic that works on all of my shop trucks has a pole barn. It was there when I first started using him and that was 23 years ago LOL I am also broke and can't afford a completely built out of steel building. Wish I could. Pole barns are great honestly. You can screw anything to the wall girts. You can run all your conduit or flexible MC behind the studs. My 30 by 30 was built by Better Built structures out of Sapulpa but I don't think they're in business anymore other than building small sheds I don't think they do pole barns. The only issue I had with them was the concrete that they'd subcontracted out. The concrete was fine but they sent a guy out on a Sunday to do my saw cuts and he had been drinking and my saw cuts were completely crooked and had a bunch of messed up Cuts everywhere it was horrible. But it wasn't their fault but they also said there was nothing they could do about it. I went through a divorce a couple years ago and now I'm in the process of trying to find a company to build me one. Have you talked to Superior structures? OrJAG? Midwest, there's some guy on Craigslist out of Owasso. I don't have Facebook but I was wondering if there was anyone that advertised on there.

I've called around to a handful of places, just under 18K for a 24x40 is the best deal so far for a pole barn. Steel is out of my price range, I just need a place to store stuff and play bags in once in a while

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents have one similar and it still looks new and is 20+ years old
FWIW, I have a pole barn that my dad and I built in '89, and it's still in excellent condition. The big expense was the concrete (it's at least 12" thick, reinforced), but a buddy of his who's a general contractor helped with that. The metal was factory seconds from Star Metals in OKC and the roof trusses were from a place on the east side of I-35 just south of the Canadian, but I don't remember where he got the utility poles (maybe from OEC).

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've called around to a handful of places, just under 18K for a 24x40 is the best deal so far for a pole barn. Steel is out of my price range, I just need a place to store stuff and play bags in once in a while
If you can do the work yourself, you can often get a screamin' deal on a used red iron building. When a local church built a new sanctuary a few years ago, my dad put in a sealed bid for the relatively new 40x30 red iron garage they had on the site. I don't recall how much it was, but it was less than $6K for the building, the plans, the electrical (including lights, switches, conduit, etc), and even the pipe rail fence that surrounded it. All he had to do was take it down and get it off the site by the time they started their construction project, and he did that pretty much singlehandedly.

When we put it up a few years later, he had some help with the concrete work, but he, one of his former coworkers, my brother's father-in-law, and I put the red iron structure back up with the help of a tricycle-gear tractor with a bucket on the front. I don't know how much he had in the concrete work, but I doubt he had more than $15K in it, all told, including whatever he paid the guys he hired to put the sheetmetal skins back on it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a pole barn that my dad and I built in '89, and it's still in excellent condition. The big expense was the concrete (it's at least 12" thick, reinforced), but a buddy of his who's a general contractor helped with that. The metal was factory seconds from Star Metals in OKC and the roof trusses were from a place on the east side of I-35 just south of the Canadian, but I don't remember where he got the utility poles (maybe from OEC).
At least 12" of concrete? That must be some really heavy stuff that is parked in there.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never forget, concrete isn't waterproof. It wicks moisture all the same. Some mixes more than others. Though, depending on your part of the state, 4' pilings might stay dry. For instance, in my neck of the woods, the loamy dirt is dry at 18". Where my parents live in North Central OK, it's still wet/moist at ten feet in their loamy dirt. Treated fence posts in concrete only lasted a decade even though it's ridiculously sandy. All the same, they irrigate the yard pretty heavily. We built his shop with treated 2x plate walls on a stem wall, foam moisture barrier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom