Reloading 9mm question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Newbe reloader question. I am working on my first 9mm reloads and had a question on the taper crimp. How much should I make my tapers? I am reloading Hornady 147 gr round nose FMG to overall length of 1.124". Measure 0.388" just above the extractor grove, 0.381" middle of rd, and 0.376" at the end of the case. Do I have too much taper?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to say .380", and I just measured some 147 plated rounds I did and they come out to .379. So I am pretty sure the crimp should be around .380".

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Newbe reloader question. I am working on my first 9mm reloads and had a question on the taper crimp. How much should I make my tapers? I am reloading Hornady 147 gr round nose FMG to overall length of 1.124". Measure 0.388" just above the extractor grove, 0.381" middle of rd, and 0.376" at the end of the case. Do I have too much taper?

That's not what is referred to as taper crimp. Don't worry about anything but the end of the case cause you can't control it anyway. You want to basically just remove the bell you put in to seat the bullet and about .001" more.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's not what is referred to as taper crimp. Don't worry about anything but the end of the case cause you can't control it anyway. You want to basically just remove the bell you put in to seat the bullet and about .001" more.

+1, more crimp causes the case to buckle and loss of bullet to case tension.Just remove the bell from the mouth of the case.
Randall

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that's for a Glock you might try coming out to 1.15 on the OAL. I load the same bullets and they are bit more accurate with the longer OAL and you are closer to the lands with no mag issues.
I do as the others say and try to only remove the bell, no more and no less. Usually a spin it the die down till it touches the case and 1/2 to 3/4 turn more (maybe 1 more) usually does the trick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom