Reloading PMC brand .223 primer pockets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To All,
Thanks much for the responses. My son and I were wondering what the heck we were doing wrong. We got a few primers in the cases but thought at some point we were going to break some portion of the hand priming tool. Call me dumb, but just looking at the cases we could not see the crimp. It did not appear to be much different than any other cases. I will have to admit we did not have any other cases from other manufacturers to compare the empty primer pockets..

Guess we will plan on using a reamer for the PMC.

With this tool are you actually removing another piece of brass from the base of the case.

Thanks again to all.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To All,
Thanks much for the responses. My son and I were wondering what the heck we were doing wrong. We got a few primers in the cases but thought at some point we were going to break some portion of the hand priming tool. Call me dumb, but just looking at the cases we could not see the crimp. It did not appear to be much different than any other cases. I will have to admit we did not have any other cases from other manufacturers to compare the empty primer pockets..

Guess we will plan on using a reamer for the PMC.

With this tool are you actually removing another piece of brass from the base of the case.

Thanks again to all.

I've never seen the PMC Gold crimps, and I did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn last night, so take this with a grain of salt:

The typical swages/crimps I've seen are the "ring" type, you should see a minor deformation at the exit end of the pocket, shouldn't have to ream all the way down the pocket, just the top bit that was squeezed into to primer pocket to keep the primer from falling out.

Thanks for the "primer" on PMC Gold primers Kurt/Shadowrider. I mistakenly thought all the PMC's were made in Korea without crimps. (I guess I'll stay away from the Gold until I get another pocket reamer! Wore my last one out on the PPU brass I bought a couple of years back.)

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks again to all.

The reamer is exactly the size that the pocket needs to be as long as you are using the correct size reamer. I mount mine on a slow turning drill and go to town. Just make sure you are not reaming out the pocket crooked and you'll be okay

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The reamer is exactly the size that the pocket needs to be as long as you are using the correct size reamer. I mount mine on a slow turning drill and go to town. Just make sure you are not reaming out the pocket crooked and you'll be okay

I too use this; I chuck it up in the drill press and go to town.
I use it on mixed brass; crimped and non crimped; when youre looking at 2000 cases, its faster just to run them all rather than try and look for a crimp. Some arent always that noticable.
ymmv.

Latest posts

Top Bottom