Rem 700 .270

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's the other way around... .243<.270

Now this is a rough example, but I would like to know how what you say is true in a hunting scenario.

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-100-gr-InterLock-BTSP-AW/
http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-130-gr-InterLock-SP-AW/

338 pounds of energy is nothing to be ignored at longer range when hunting.

I know this is just one manufactures load, but if you just google it there are several comparative loads that prove the .270 to have more energy than the .243.

I will stand by my original statement saying that for longer distance hunting the .270 will be the better choice. For competition / target shooting or even varmint / predator hunting the .243 would be a better choice. Me personally would never buy either, because there are far superior cartridges on the market that fit my needs. Especially once you begin to reload.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there are far superior cartridges on the market that fit my needs. Especially once you begin to reload.

+1... 6.5x47 is my favorite plinker. 6.5x284 is tied with .338 for my favorite whitetail slammer (only because it's quite common to have to pull a 600+ yard shot in my neck of the desert)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed them out to 300 yds which is a chip shot, but I will say that the .270 does not have a good reputation in long distance. It Is not used in any hi-power competitions, long range, open competitions, and the story continues.

Why? Its just not inherently accurate with the combo of bullet/caliber.

The round was championed in many magazines by Jack O'conner as the ultimate elk round when he was debating the small round vs the major firepower that Elmer Kieth said was necessary to take down big game.

They debated both directions with legions of followers.

I own a .270 and have killed many deer with the 130 grain round.

The 30-06 was the king of the 1000 yard open sight matches at Camp Perry National matches for many years.
The .270 has never made an apperance.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
338 pounds of energy is nothing to be ignored at longer range when hunting.

The energy gap gets smaller and smaller as the distance increases, but one thing that can't be ignored for sure is the 80% more recoil.

Plus, I've never seen a 270 that would be consistently accurate even at moderate ranges - maybe it has to do with bullet selection, maybe it has to do with over-bore, or even said recoil.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The energy gap gets smaller and smaller as the distance increases, but one thing that can't be ignored for sure is the 80% more recoil.

Plus, I've never seen a 270 that would be consistently accurate even at moderate ranges - maybe it has to do with bullet selection, maybe it has to do with over-bore, or even said recoil.

I will let you shoot my Rem 700 sometime it's a 3/4 minuite gun all day long.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. But as those years passed, the 30-06 is far obsolete to distance shooting too... Overshadowed by the lowly .308

the 06 has not been overshawdoed by the .308.
That round is inherently accurate in the 150 grain for medium ranges.
The 06 is most accurate in the 168 grain for medium ranges.
The 06 at camp perry 1000 yard matches used the 200 grain Sierra Match Kings. I still have a box of bullets that a guy gave me that shot there for many years. Kicks like a mule at full power.
The .308 with its smaller case capacity is dammed close, but not quite there.

Service rifles are not chambered in that caliber anymore.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 06 has not been overshawdoed by the .308.
That round is inherently accurate in the 150 grain for medium ranges.
The 06 is most accurate in the 168 grain for medium ranges.
The 06 at camp perry 1000 yard matches used the 200 grain Sierra Match Kings. I still have a box of bullets that a guy gave me that shot there for many years. Kicks like a mule at full power.
The .308 with its smaller case capacity is dammed close, but not quite there.

Service rifles are not chambered in that caliber anymore.

.308 is inherently more accurate at range than 30-06, which is why 06 is no longer a service cartridge. Great hunting round, packs one hell of a punch (as does the 762nato), definitely deer accurate, but not a precision round anymore. Now custom hand loads are an exception. I can concede that, you can plink paper well within MOA with any cartridge in a purpose built rifle. Both lord over the .270 lol

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as competition goes:
30-06 was the Palma king - simply because you didn't have much choice - 30-06, 308 or 223.
In late 80s 30-06 was removed from Palma - and for long range 308 became the king.
Either one shines with 175+gn bullets. The only time you see 155gn is at international competitions where there is 156gn cap*.
30-06 is still shot in Garand and Vintage (Springfield) matches.

30-06 will out-cheat the wind with "power", 308 is easier to tune. Neither one of these could be called "inherently accurate" - the powder column height-to-diameter is all out of whack.

* I've shot FTR "expert" with 155 Sierra Palmas @ 1000 yards - wind tosses them around like rag-dolls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom