"Remington, Under Fire"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently it's the design of the trigger/safety group.

Supposedly, you can engage the safety, pull the trigger, release the trigger, and when you take the safety off the rifle immediately discharges.

Remington offers this safety upgrade on models manufactured before 1982
http://www.remington.com/pages/news...ogram/remington-model-700-and-model-40-X.aspx

They changed the design in 82 but the lawsuits claim that discharges still occur.

Thread at THR about it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=548107&page=1

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Apparently it's the design of the trigger/safety group.

Supposedly, you can engage the safety, pull the trigger, release the trigger, and when you take the safety off the rifle immediately discharges."

Had that happen to my daughter while deer hunting when she was about 15 with a model 700 .243. We were back at the truck unloading the rifles when BOOM! hers went off,luckily pointing up. We just stood there a minute until we could hear again,said she wasn't touching the trigger,took the safety off and had just grabbed the bolt handle when it happened.
Randall

danbob10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried this on three different remingtons...a 22-250 BDL made in the 70's.....a 300 win mag sendaro, and a 700 SPS.....they all worked as advertised. Has anyone been able to make this work on thier guns?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only really dangerous ones are the pre82s cause you can't open the bolt without taking it off safe. The only ones I've ever seen that did what they were talking out were ones someone tried adjusting.
Rules of gun safety.
#1 never trust a safety
#2 never take off safe until aimed at your target and ready to fire.
#3 always keep muzzle pointed in a safe direction
#4 treat every gun as if it is loaded.
in 99% of the cases cited these rules were not followed.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only really dangerous ones are the pre82s cause you can't open the bolt without taking it off safe. The only ones I've ever seen that did what they were talking out were ones someone tried adjusting.
Rules of gun safety.
#1 never trust a safety
#2 never take off safe until aimed at your target and ready to fire.
#3 always keep muzzle pointed in a safe direction
#4 treat every gun as if it is loaded.
in 99% of the cases cited these rules were not followed.

Those aren't an accurate portrayal of basic rules. #2 keep your finger off the trigger until you're aimed and ready to fire or pointed in a safe direction. A good number of guns require you to pull the trigger to pull the bolt out (my Savage), and the safety cannot be engaged while this happens. A good number of guns don't even have manual safeties (my handgun, a Glock). Additionally, you have to pull the trigger on the Glock to field strip it.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom