Republican Debate 1/14/2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both Trump and Cruz looked like 5th graders going back and forth on the birther issue. Rubio is the only one that can form fast, well thought out responses. He seems very passionate. Bush needs to drop out. Kasich only talks about his past successes, to the point he is blowing it. Carson is a great guy, but never can come out really looking presidential. Christie works too hard at trying to be clever and sometimes just acts plain mean. I don't trust either Trump, or Christie on 2nd Amendment issues. Yeah, I've pretty well made up my mind to vote for Rubio. He's got some warts, but still the best choice for me. Any of them are a lot better alternative to the Witch, and I don't mean Fiorina. That is my spin on it.

Edit: I think Rubio nailed it for me when he said (something like) : "We've got one chance in 2016 to get it right at fixing the damage Obama has done, or it may be too late for America."

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think Trump got his butt handed to him by Cruz on the birther issue, and the audience agreed listening to the applause.

I think Cruz handled it well but still believe Trump has a point. That said, Constitutional matters like that never seem to gain much traction. I think we're far beyond stuff like that.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both Trump and Cruz looked like 5th graders going back and forth on the birther issue. Rubio is the only one that can form fast, well thought out responses. He seems very passionate. Bush needs to drop out. Kasich only talks about his past successes, to the point he is blowing it. Carson is a great guy, but never can come out really looking presidential. Christie works too hard at trying to be clever and sometimes just acts plain mean. I don't trust either Trump, or Christie on 2nd Amendment issues. Yeah, I've pretty well made up my mind to vote for Rubio. He's got some warts, but still the best choice for me. Any of them are a lot better alternative to the Witch, and I don't mean Fiorina. That is my spin on it.

Edit: I think Rubio nailed it for me when he said (something like) : "We've got one chance in 2016 to get it right at fixing the damage Obama has done, or it may be too late for America."

Rubio might fix some of Obama's damage, but he won't fix any of the establishment GOP's damage. I really don't want him and Paul Ryan working in lockstep to destroy the GOP hold on the House, all at the behest of big business interests.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just one point about the "birther" issue....my niece was born in Germany in an American base hospital to an American soldier (muskogee born) and my American sister (born in Altoona PA) and her parents still had to apply for an Amercan citizenship for her when she was about 10 or 12. I always thought that was an assinine law but my sister was told it was the law. They had to do it and i think it took about a year to get it completed. Laws change sometimes. Maybe it has. She was born in 1971. As far as Cruz is concerned, I think he is an American, but there are or were some funky laws about it in the past.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rubio might fix some of Obama's damage, but he won't fix any of the establishment GOP's damage. I really don't want him and Paul Ryan working in lockstep to destroy the GOP hold on the House, all at the behest of big business interests.

You state a line of logic that I don't necessarily disagree with. But, beating Clinton is the focus for me and Rubio has the true best chance of doing that. Looking at the candidates that people say they absolutely will not vote for, Trump is the top and Bush is second, with Cruz ranking rather high (if I remember correctly). Rubio does not attract the negative numbers there. I think Rubio can catch the support of the other soon to be dropping out candidates and possibly build a majority over time.

Like I said, Rubio has some warts that bother me, but he has the widest appeal chance and that is what it's going to take to win in November. I really fear that if repubs aren't careful, the dems will slip in and America is doomed in many ways. We'll still be a great country for a long time, but lots of liberties will gradually and consistently disappear. I agree the repubs have some things to be corrected, but we don't want to cut off our nose because we're pissed at our face. Like Rubio, I think 2016 might be our last best chance to turn back the craziness of the past 7 years. JMHO

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You state a line of logic that I don't necessarily disagree with. But, beating Clinton is the focus for me and Rubio has the true best chance of doing that. Looking at the candidates that people say they absolutely will not vote for, Trump is the top and Bush is second, with Cruz ranking rather high (if I remember correctly). Rubio does not attract the negative numbers there. I think Rubio can catch the support of the other soon to be dropping out candidates and possibly build a majority over time.

Like I said, Rubio has some warts that bother me, but he has the widest appeal chance and that is what it's going to take to win in November. I really fear that if repubs aren't careful, the dems will slip in and America is doomed in many ways. We'll still be a great country for a long time, but lots of liberties will gradually and consistently disappear. I agree the repubs have some things to be corrected, but we don't want to cut off our nose because we're pissed at our face. Like Rubio, I think 2016 might be our last best chance to turn back the craziness of the past 7 years. JMHO

I agree with glock 100%. However even if I didnt Rubio is a first term congressman AKA Obama-lite. I do not like his stance on illegal immigration. I dont trust him

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I don't like Rubio. Sure he is a good speaker but he has done some things voting wise that I don't like. And he always tries to attack other people. For me Cruz is by far the best person to run and be president. And he had the record to back it up. He is an outsider because he doesn't conform to what all the other senators do. I like trump but he can never really give a good answer. Sure he says some good things but never really explains his plans or ideas. He basically just says the same things over and over. Plus I don't like his arrogance. We have enough of that with Obama. I don't think Rubio would necessarily be bad, but I don't believe he would be good either. I usually don't have a candidate that I really feel passionate about voting for. But this time Cruz is the guy. I just really like him. And he had some really good plans.

Latest posts

Top Bottom