Riddle me this...From the Classifieds Section

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curiousity has taken ahold of me.

The question is this: If you ask X for a sale item in the classifieds if paid for in cash, why do you ask Y (amount that is higher) for trade?

In my opinion, not that it matters, is that if it's worth $500 in cash, then it's worth $500 in trade. Just because you're not getting cash and you're trading, doesn't suddenly make the value jump $100. Or does it?

This has always baffled the bejabbers out of me. Not criticizing, just darn inquisitive.

Please discuss and explain.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It happens because it happens.

Because if you say "I have a Glock for $400" someone will come along and offer their $300 gun to trade for it.

Basically, there is a portion of the membership (who are very active in the classifieds) who are constantly trying to "trade up".

In other words, it's a cash discount.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me a while to come up with a logical argument for this phenomenon.
Cash is versatile, you can use it to pay rent, buy ammo, a toothbrush, anything you need. A trade item is not as versatile as cash. Yes it has a value but you can not go to the store and use the trade item to buy a toothbrush and get some form of change. Therefore cash has a different value than a trade item (a higher one because it is more versatile). So people usually ask for less cash value and a little bit more in trade value.

Does that make any sense to anyone else but me? I tried to be clear

Last edited:

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, me too. Sometimes the asking price is over value for the item, let alone the trade price. Most of the adds are reasonable, but others are questionable. I have seen a few pieces I was interested in, but I haven't seen anything I would then have a 200+ mile round trip in order to pick it up. Like you, I have wondered the same thing.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's nothing more than something someone did long ago and many have followed suit. You are always the one to decide the value to you, on either side of the deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try looking at it this way...the listed trade value may be what the seller feels is the retail value for the item that they are selling. The lower "cash" price includes a discount off the going retail rate as a cash sale is preferred.

If I'm already offering something at a discounted price for a quick sale, I have no interest in trading for an item that is of lesser value than the item I'm parting with.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It happens because it happens.

Because if you say "I have a Glock for $400" someone will come along and offer their $300 gun to trade for it.

Basically, there is a portion of the membership (who are very active in the classifieds) who are constantly trying to "trade up".

In other words, it's a cash discount.

But isn't that where negotiations and discussion come into play? Sometimes, someone can set what seems like a price that's too high to even be worth countering. But that's a whole other story for another thread.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curiousity has taken ahold of me.

The question is this: If you ask X for a sale item in the classifieds if paid for in cash, why do you ask Y (amount that is higher) for trade?

In my opinion, not that it matters, is that if it's worth $500 in cash, then it's worth $500 in trade. Just because you're not getting cash and you're trading, doesn't suddenly make the value jump $100. Or does it?

This has always baffled the bejabbers out of me. Not criticizing, just darn inquisitive.

Please discuss and explain.

Because in the OSA Classifieds something truly worth X amount in value is apparently worth at least 20% less in cash..... it's among the many fun anomalies in the OSA Classifieds.

One of my favorites is "Best Cash Price?" ..... LOL isn't the price I'm asking, MY best cash price?..... and what other "price" would there be? Gold? Silver? Woman?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
But isn't that where negotiations and discussion come into play? Sometimes, someone can set what seems like a price that's too high to even be worth countering. But that's a whole other story for another thread.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
A lot of people don't like to, or don't know how to negotiate. It is becoming a lost art.

I consider all deals negotiable, even the ones I post. [emoji6]

Latest posts

Top Bottom