Safe question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but my searches were not very fruitful. Are there any concerns for keeping a gun safe in the garage. I'm thinking more about the temperature changes, moisture, the safe being directly on the concrete etc. We are moving into a new house and I am not sure if the safe will go inside or in the garage. I do intend to bolt it to the foundation regardless of where it is located. Thanks for your help!

www.infinityok.net

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep a Henry .22 lever rifle in my shop all year to shoot critters. Its oiled and is fine after 3-4 years living out there.

I've had a Glenfield carbine .22 that had hung from a nail in my barn for 26 years now. Light coat of oil and a wipe down every so often.
Still goes bang every time.

I have a safe in the garage. Keep a golden rod running in it 24-7, and you won't have any issues. Stack a couple of thick washers under the holes where your going to bolt it to the concrete so you get air circulation under it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only issue with the garage, someone could back a van in, drop a chain around the safe hooked to the hitch, pull it from the floor and then load the whole safe up.
I worked with a guy who had his safe stolen from the garage. They didnt use a chain but they did use his tools (prybar?) to get the safe off the floor and then used his 2 wheeler to wheel it to the van/pickup.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a safe in the garage. I had the alarm company attach a sensor to the back of the safe, similar to the contact points you see on a window or above a door. I then slide the safe into position. The sensor was constantly armed so if the safe was moved more than 1/4", the alarm company was notified. This cost me no more than a window or door on installation and didn't affect my monthly bill at all.

As for moisture... 7 years in the garage and I never had a single issue with rust, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom