Salt Plains Wilderness Area deer hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slicktricktj

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely a hard/rugged hunt, but well worth it. I went in 2009 on same rifle hunt and am going back this year week after you for archery. You will more than likely see deer in the 140s and up if weather cooperates and you know how to hunt. Just pack light because you will be hiking over a mile more than likely to get to where you want to be. Worst part is that a lot of that hike can be in sand.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You lucked into a great location! I was up there a couple years ago in July. Unless you are lucky, it will take some work up there. Some great bucks in that area. We camped at one of the lake campgrounds.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will the wilderness area have a lot of standing water so we will need hip boots or waders?
My son-in-law has a canoe we can use.
We won't hesitate to walk a long distance or get through that heavy cover to get away from the other hunters and try to get on the bucks. I would prefer to maybe use a climbing stand to get high enough to glass over some of that cover but the cedars might be too tall and there might not be any openings to glass any deer. Anybody know if the cottonwoods are too big for a climbing stand in that wilderness area?
I've hunted Beaver before so I know about walking in that sand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom