Samsung Fridge Freezing up ***%^$$#@!!! and possible solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And my one buddy was trying to tell me how much better we have it in the computer age!

My fridges and freezers are all older, I think everyone 20+.

My stove / oven, not so much, 8 years old, computer controlled oven! Oven cant work if the power is out.

Sometimes the oven lights up readily, but I have saw it take 20 minutes to 45 minutes to light up! ☹️

Personally give me back the old pilot light!
At least the old ovens worked without electric, and would light in less than 1 minute religiously!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far over a month has passed and it has not goofed up.
Knock on wood.

I eliminated the wide gap in the lower freezer door seal by placing a washer under the bracket that attaches the door to the roller slides.

The seal at the bottom of the freezer door was severely compressed and the top of the seal was not touching or sealing at all allowing moisture to enter the unit.

Just like a deep freeze with a bad/leaking door seal it will develop frost/ice.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NOT FIXED!!!

Iced up again.
A week ago it got hot inside and door temp said 35 fridge and -2 freezer but it was 50 in the fridge.
Unplugged it for 6 hours and worked fine for a few days and my fridge is back hot 49 F.

I found this video and I think this repair will fix it.

Adds a little 15 watt heater in line with the factory defrost heater.
But puts this new heater up high on the line where it is prone to frost up.

Good video to watch if you have this issue.

Here is my fridge I took the cover off a few minutes ago.

MY door seals all check to be sealed when i put a bright light in the fridge and freezer so not the seal this round.

Probably just more humid in the house since it is spring rainy season and we open the fridge often because we are always cooking and putting away warm leftovers and this fridge does not play well with old folks that cook 3 or more meals a day.

002.JPG

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s funny—my brother took my mom’s Samsung fridge that had been so problematic (ice dams in the ice maker and thawing in the freezer), and he hasn’t had a lick of trouble with it.

I still think that ice maker is an unbelievably bad design (when it makes its super colossal stupendous ice dam, you can’t pull the tray without damaging something), but the stupid thing just seems to be working for my brother.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s funny—my brother took my mom’s Samsung fridge that had been so problematic (ice dams in the ice maker and thawing in the freezer), and he hasn’t had a lick of trouble with it.

I still think that ice maker is an unbelievably bad design (when it makes its super colossal stupendous ice dam, you can’t pull the tray without damaging something), but the stupid thing just seems to be working for my brother.

My neighbor who gave it to me never had any issues with it.
But I have had constant trouble and with what you said I have my brain thinking.

My buddies house was COLD in the summer 65-67 F with ac running all the time.
Heck I would have windows and doors open with the screens closed.

Sleep in the 78 f area.. yea a bit humid sometimes.
Like colder but I can turn on a fan.

Our house is a lot more humid not running the AC all the time like my buddy.
He also did not have much food in the fridge and would not save leftovers ever.
Few drinks and some eggs and lunch meat and tomatoes or lettuce and maybe 5 condiments.

I have it packed to the gills.
Every time I open the fridge the cold glass bottles or glass food containers get fogged from the humidity in the house before I get what I want and close the doors.

I am thinking that may be how moisture gets in there.

Wife eats at different times than I do and grandson likes to get stuff from the fridge.

Does your mothers house seem like mine and your brothers house have the heat or ac running all the time for max comfort?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're looking for a replacement in anything in the Whirlpool family let me know (Whirlpool, Amana, KitchenAid, JennAir, Maytag).
Thank you for the heads up.

I did not need this one.
I have a fine working GE over and under old school fridge.
Checked the temp in it to make sure my instant read thermometer was working right and it read 29F in the GE.

This GE is amazing in that it seems to pull a vacuum when you close the door.
I can open a soda pop and take a couple drinks from it and place it in the GE fridge and 3 days later it is still very fizzy.
Maybe the vacuum seal.

The samsung you will have flat soda the next day.

Have you noticed any vacuum sealing in any side by side fridges?
You would have to have a perfect seal for that to happen.

This GE you can tell it is sealed shut when you try to reopen it.
Love it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does your mothers house seem like mine and your brothers house have the heat or ac running all the time for max comfort?
Really, I don’t think there’s all that much environmental difference between the two. Mom’s house had much better HVAC, but she never ran it for max comfort. I’d say the only significant difference is that the windows are open a lot more at my brother’s place. Also, there’s more space to one side, and maybe behind, the fridge now that it’s in my brother’s kitchen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom