Samsung Fridge Freezing up ***%^$$#@!!! and possible solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Freezing up is typically a sign of poor airflow.

Clean coils, move it out from walls an 1" or 2".

We bought a new fridge. It was a bit larger than the old one and barely fit in the space. Had problems with it freezing up. Pulled it out slightly and placed a small fan to blow behind fridge. Never another problem. Worked great for 22 years, sold it with the house.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cleaned and blew it all out with air when I got it and I pulled it out today and very little dust on it.
I DO NOT have any pets so there is not much stuff to make it dirty.

I did the modification with the 15 watt heater and now we will see if it works out.

I read the defrost mode comes on 2-4 times a day.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a freeze up problem with a refrigerator once and the same thing kept happening. There was a defrost cycle going on in the freezer section that tries to melt off the frost ("frostfree"), but when it did this, there was a small drain that kept getting water in it that would freeze, get blocked, then it would eventually freeze everything up and stop working.

After about 3 times I had an idea, what if I hung a 12 gauge copper wire off the heater element into that hole so that when the heater element came up to defrost, it would also make sure the hole wouldn't be frozen. This fixed it for good.

Where I am going with this is, could it be the drain hole in the freezer that is getting blocked?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a freeze up problem with a refrigerator once and the same thing kept happening. There was a defrost cycle going on in the freezer section that tries to melt off the frost ("frostfree"), but when it did this, there was a small drain that kept getting water in it that would freeze, get blocked, then it would eventually freeze everything up and stop working.

After about 3 times I had an idea, what if I hung a 12 gauge copper wire off the heater element into that hole so that when the heater element came up to defrost, it would also make sure the hole wouldn't be frozen. This fixed it for good.

Where I am going with this is, could it be the drain hole in the freezer that is getting blocked?
That fix is what my appliance repair buddy told me they do to keep the drains from freezing but all the appliance guys use a metal coat hanger.

I like the copper idea better.

My drains do not freeze up they are clear.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That fix is what my appliance repair buddy told me they do to keep the drains from freezing but all the appliance guys use a metal coat hanger.

I like the copper idea better.

My drains do not freeze up they are clear.
I dunno--somehow, the metal coat hanger seems more swampratt-y. I mean, unless it's copper wire from a mid-'60s Chevy wiring harness; that would definitely say "swampratt was here."

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still take great pride in suing Samsung and winning a full price refund for my 4.5 year old side by side constantly freezing up. Got every penny I asked for when judge said go out in the hall and settle this and Samsung refused to do so. I offered 1/2 of what I was eventually awarded. Big corporate vs little consumer mindset backfired on them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom