Seeking help with ID and appraisal of book.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gun$linger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to know if any one knows how to really positively ID the book and where I might go in the Tulsa area to get an appraisal of it. I have googled as far as I can. The illustrations to look for are the rose, mine is on p. 28 and facing right. On page 63 there is no crow. No 5 line chromograph on the last page. Copyright of 1943 and printed in the US, but it does not list a printed date or what edition it is. No dust cover, but in pretty fair shape otherwise with no writing or tears. Any info or a heads up on a book guru would be appreciated. Thanks

i1055.photobucket.com_albums_s505_GunSlingerGunSlinger_SANY0056.jpg

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of rare book dealers in Tulsa, but I don't know them. What have you found out? The first American English edition with the same cover design is selling for big money without the dust jacket. I can't find it in the original French, and I've been looking. I don't know anything about it. I'm just bumping your thread out of curiousity.

Last edited:

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it really stumps you or you want another valuation, try baumanrarebooks.com. The son of a friend runs the one in Vegas. Good luck.

Gun$linger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies, Ill try that gardeners on mingo and see if they can tell me anymore about it. This is one of those maybe once in a lifetime finds. Even if it turns out to be a very common printing Im next to nothing in it and I love the author and the book so Ill just have to learn more french so I can enjoy it.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell us the story. Often times the finding & obtaining is far more interesting than actually owning a collectible. Where did you stumble onto it & how sweet was the deal?

Gun$linger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I found the book at an antique shop, it was tossed in a rubbermaid tub with a bunch of other books. I have to admit it caught my eye quickly, I realized its potential immediatly. I ended up getting 5 books in all, although the others are just readers. One was the Scientific design of intake and exhaust systems, very interesting indeed. I gave 1.50 for the lot if memory serves, either way it was next to nothing. Im not sure what edition it is, it is not given. The author flew for the french air force until they were grounded due to occupation and was in America just long enough to get his work published, he then went to north Africa to fly recon and dissapeared in his P-38.

Latest posts

Top Bottom