Seeking wisdom for teenage rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer Hunting rifle for teen.

I have a teenager that enjoys hunting and has since about 9. I have hunted with a .223 rd for quite awhile and have had no problems downing a deer. Haven't wounded one yet. Given the success I have had with the .223 rd and its light kick, that is what I started my 9 year old off with. Again, so far no wounds. The problem I'm having with it for him however is that it doesn't leave a blood trail if needed.
He is now 14 and I'm thinking I need a bit larger round for him. I have a 30-.06 and a 30-30, but feel the 30-.06 maybe to much as he is a thin 14 year old, not much meat on his bones as my dad would say. Think of a physique more like a long distance runner and not a linebacker. I'm thinking even the 30-30 may be to much.

I have never shot a .270 round so I have no comparison on kick and I'm wondering how it might be compared to the 30-30. Thinking I could get him a .270 that he could use now and if he makes it through girls and college and still wants to hunt, give it to him as his officially and it can be used for most any game in the surrounding states that he may want to hunt.

Thoughts?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you think even the .30-30 may be too much, do not go with a .270! Think more along the lines of a .243 or .250 Savage or .257 Roberts or .260 Remington. Lots of choices, but I don't think the .270 is your answer. And, watch stock fit. I've shot a lot of big guns, but I've also shot some .270's that kicked the snot out of me!
You got some friends that might let you try some out if they have them? I don't know where you are in Oklahoma. Let us know and maybe some folks will chime in with some offers. Good luck!

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying .270 is the answer, but for a comparison point I would say that my .270 kicked about the same as a Winchester 94 .30-30.

One would expect the .270 to kick quite a bit more, but even a basic Rem 700 ADL with laminated stock weighed quite a bit more than that slender little 94 so the recoil kind of evened out.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer Hunting rifle for teen.

I have a teenager that enjoys hunting and has since about 9. I have hunted with a .223 rd for quite awhile and have had no problems downing a deer. Haven't wounded one yet. Given the success I have had with the .223 rd and its light kick, that is what I started my 9 year old off with. Again, so far no wounds. The problem I'm having with it for him however is that it doesn't leave a blood trail if needed.
He is now 14 and I'm thinking I need a bit larger round for him. I have a 30-.06 and a 30-30, but feel the 30-.06 maybe to much as he is a thin 14 year old, not much meat on his bones as my dad would say. Think of a physique more like a long distance runner and not a linebacker. I'm thinking even the 30-30 may be to much.

I have never shot a .270 round so I have no comparison on kick and I'm wondering how it might be compared to the 30-30. Thinking I could get him a .270 that he could use now and if he makes it through girls and college and still wants to hunt, give it to him as his officially and it can be used for most any game in the surrounding states that he may want to hunt.

Thoughts?
243 is an excellent choice. Especially if you get a threaded barrel bolt action, throw a brake on it, where electronic ear pro, enjoy the recoiless fun. Ive been killing a lot of animals using that equipment (just not in 243).

Latest posts

Top Bottom