Self defense shotgun for the missus.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a 870 pump but others may have a better suggestion.

I did a bit of research on the differences between the 870 and the 500. For the most part, they seem to be basically identical in every way but for the ejector. Mossberg's ejector is held in by a screw and Remington's by a rivet. Should that rivet or the ejector break, you'd have to send it back to get fixed. On the Mossberg, you could just do it yourself in minutes. That may seem like a minor point, but for me, I like reliability and ease of maintenance for when things do break.

There might be other differences out there I missed, but that stood out for me.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I did a bit of research on the differences between the 870 and the 500. For the most part, they seem to be basically identical in every way but for the ejector. Mossberg's ejector is held in by a screw and Remington's by a rivet. Should that rivet or the ejector break, you'd have to send it back to get fixed. On the Mossberg, you could just do it yourself in minutes. That may seem like a minor point, but for me, I like reliability and ease of maintenance for when things do break.

There might be other differences out there I missed, but that stood out for me.

Main selling point for me(I'm left handed) is the location of the safety. That's why both my pump guns are Mossberg.

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm basically looking at the Mossberg , 870, or the CZ. I like the points about the rivet and the placement of the safety. I am guessing both have a good amount of aftermarket accessories. Basically want to mount a light, and maybe a adjustable stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom