Self defense shotgun for the missus.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I choose the Mossberg 500 Persuader for the following reasons:
1. Capacity - 7+1 (even holds 7 3" shells.)
2. Safety location - ambidextrous tang safety
3. Price - got mine for less than $350
4. Warranty - 10 year manufacturer warranty
5. Aftermarket - tons of aftermarket options

Nomadarmy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you there...buckshot, bird shot etc....as far as dry wall is concerned a shotgun would be a much better choice, centerfire rounds are still very lethal after going through drywall, hollow bedroom doors, etc....buckshot, yes you'll get injured but the the odds are on your side as far as death from muted buckshot..... I do agree with training on a better weapon... I think a revolver is the best option, no screwing with a slide, and no worn out magazines...basically no failures...especially for a women, my wife has a hell of a time pulling the slide on my handguns ....and if you were going with a shotgun.....double barrel 20 gauge

Personally I'm not a fan of shotguns for home defense with the exception of maybe a 20 gauge but even then. If you live somewhere where a load of buckshot can go through an interior wall, exterior wall or both without endangering other people then it's an option but otherwise I don't use them. Too many people have been brainwashed into thinking a shotgun will magically get rid of bad guys by racking the slide or sheer intimidation or because a shotgun is a general point and shoot gun that doesn't require aiming like a rifle or handgun and it's all totally false.

I find them bad choices for women especially because they do kick harder than other options, reloading is slow and they are long and difficult to move through a house without a lot of specific training. If you live where over penetration isn't an issue and she's comfortable with the recoil of buckshot (birdshot is not an option in any form) and she's well trained/skilled in reloading on the fly and proper operation and understands a shotgun doesn't really have any of the mystical powers attributed to them, then go for it but I suspect with her limited knowledge of guns she's suffering from the shotgun brainwashing and wouldn't want one for home defense if she knew better.

If she's not comfortable with a handgun, a lightweight AR using ammo designed not to go through multiple walls like Hornady TAP (I HIGHLY recommend Hornady TAP as THE home defense ammo). Most people think an AR is going to send rounds through the bad guy and out through the wall and into something they don't want to hit and with other ammo, that is a real possibility but Hornady TAP is far different stuff. It's the best home defense ammo available for the AR and it won't penetrate walls as far as a 9mm, .40S&W or .45acp. Check out the various YouTube videos on penetration of handgun calibers vs AR's using Hornady TAP, it'll amaze you. You can build/buy a lightweight AR15 that will recoil less, weigh less, offer far more capacity, much easier to reload and give you a far safer environment in respect to the over penetration.

Just my opinion...

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep the shotgun you have. She is familiar with it. She can shoot 2 boxes and then she's ready to put it down? That pretty good practice in my book. Buy a shorter barrel and it doesn't have to be a 18 incher a 21 inch barrel is plenty short and will balance the shotgun better. Maybe look at the stock? Add a Kick-ease pad or such. Some feel the need for a mounted light or red dot, mag extension, but I feel that this adds weight and really doesn't help under the circumstances of home defense because the distances are short and she's already busting clays with this gun, so under your direction, she has learned to be proficient with it. I say keep what you have and modify for her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom