Selling trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I had an idea come to me the other day. Does anyone know if any lumber companies or sawmills buy trees?? Such as big oak trees? I've heard atleast in the past that trees can be worth serious coin. And that could help me get a newer car

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some places buy standing timber. Like anything else you need to do the research on what you have, what the going rate is, and how you want the property treated.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same question last year. I called Okla State Forestry office to ask if they had any info. After leaving several messages to call me, I'm still waiting to hear from them. Maybe it's not their job to answer calls like mine or maybe they're like a lot of gubermint agencies... too busy to do their job.
Good luck with your endeavor and if you find someone to clear or harvest the hardwood, post it or pm me. Thanks

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished having timber cleared (in Virginia) to make room for pasture. As a result, the land was clear-cut.

First order of business: hire a professional forester. They don't work for the state; their usual fee is ten percent. They will cruise your property, noting size, type and number of trees. The estimate will break it down by sawtimber, pulpwood, and topwood. They'll put that estimate up for bid. The loggers will pay you up front, then come in with big equipment to cut and remove the timber. They'll try to remove everything, since they already paid for it. Pay attention to the forester's experience; if he has a good reputation for accurate estimates, both you and the loggers will benefit. Once the job is complete, you pay the commission to the forester.

Our property has large yellow poplar, red & white oak, and loblolly & Virginia pine...big trees used for timber and the rest for pulp at the local paper mill. Below is a photo of the logging operation in progress. They worked at the rate of an acre a day.

ai48.photobucket.com_albums_f220_red86nado_cuttingtrees.jpg

After paying the commission, I ended up with about $2300/acre. Your mileage will vary depending on the type and density of trees on your property, as well as the distance to sawmills and paper mills (we have several within 15 miles of our property). Logging trucks are massive, so figure they're using quite a bit of fuel. Furthermore, unless you have a lot of timber to harvest (measured in acres), it probably isn't worth the loggers' time & expense to come out with their equipment and remove a few trees.

Final note; the result looks like a battlefield. As mentioned, we're converting the land to pasture. After the loggers depart, you might consider re-foresting. In fact, you can let others lease the land and do the work for you: they plant trees, then they come back when the trees are mature and harvest them.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, well, well. This answers a long standing question for me. Looks like I'm going to have to do it the hard way; myself. A few cottonwoods, but mostly oaks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom