Shipping a car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone here had any good luck having a car shipped? I need to send one from the Gary, IN area to Tulsa. There are so many fly by night types out there and I don't want to get scammed. Anyone have anyone they've work3ed with before?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check uship.com

I have a guy I've used twice, but I'd have to look him up. There are lots of good options on there, though. Kinda like an ebay-ish shipping site, but they have a feedback system, so you can get bids, check bidders, etc. Very cool.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope I am not intruding but do you know this person? Family? Have you ever been to Gary?

I have family that live in Gary and its a really depressed run down area. I went last year for a funeral and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To Cowzrul: Yessir. Gary is a hole inside a pit wrapped in detritus. It is coming from family about an hour south of there.

I'm getting quotes of around $500 to ship the car. By the time I got there, slept, ate gassed up and drove back, I'd almost be at that number. So, shipping seems like the way to go. I'm just not sure how to avoid problems with it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uship's feedback system is pretty good. People look at it and take bids to avoid unloaded legs of trips. Some of the haulers have tons of ratings. The guy I used was very reasonable and had an enclosed car hauler. He said he mostly did really high-end trailer-queen cars around the country for shows, but he picked up my beater and household items and took them from Michigan to NC and then a year and a half later he did NC to OK for us. He did fine. It's all about the individual and their setup/equipment and their attitude. This guy was super-nice. I am sure like anywhere there is some variability, but that's what feedback is for... hope it helps. I think if I were doing what you're doing, I'd look into Uship for sure.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't want to drive it back but it is driveable and do not mind the added miles it is possible to have someone drive it for less than the 500.

Don't know the MPG but should be around 60 for fuel at 20MPG and figure another 150 for a bus ticket and meals. I would do it for about a hundred plus costs figure around 300 total if I was doing something like that.

Uship is great along highly traveled routes is generally the places that around 40 or 50 miles outside of a major town that bite you in the butt. The little guys trying to get started have higher costs involved and the big guys don't want to go out of their way to pick things up. You just have to watch the feedback since it's basically a shipping marketplace like ebay is for other stuff.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work with the car haulers regularly. East to west is usually a little more expensive, so the price your getting seems about right.

Dependable auto shippers can ship (enclosed or open trailer) and bulldog trucking (open trailer only) out of Arkansas are the two I would recommend.
U ship works well also, but there's some real odd folks on there.
Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom