Shipping guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One question I haven't been able to find an answer to. Can non-licensees ship firearms to each other across state lines for purpose of loan. Not actual transfer of ownership? Thanks, Jim

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One question I haven't been able to find an answer to. Can non-licensees ship firearms to each other across state lines for purpose of loan. Not actual transfer of ownership? Thanks, Jim

Im going to say no. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

What if your party does not pay you back? Then it would be your weapon?

That would constitute a transfer over state lines.

The transferee (of a weapon sent across state lines) MUST retrieve the weapon from an FFL licensee of their resident state, ensuring that all applicable laws of that state are observed, and followed.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Reddog,

I think you might have mis-interpreted my question. I was talking about shipping firearm across state line in order to loan it to someone. Not to be used as collaterol for a loan.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 83
1715. Firearms as nonmailable; regulations.

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried by the mails or delivered by any officer or employee of the Postal Service. ect. ect. ect.

This just applies to the US Postal Service and not to common carriers such as Fed-Ex or UPS but in another section it does say that you must notify the carrier when you drop it off that it contains a firearm. They will at that time most likley tell you that their polocy is to ship firearms only by overnight shipping $$$$$

Just an FYI.......the legal requirement to notify a contract carrier is incorrect *IF* a non licensee is shipping to a licensed dealer, manufacturer or gunsmith......I know you probably won't believe me, but, look at the laws cited for yourself and you will see that no notice is required by law......the BATF knows that part of the FAQ is incorrect......apparently, they don't care.......

18 USC Sec. 922

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or
cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for
transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to
persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers,
licensed dealers, or licensed collectors,
any package or other
container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without
written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is
being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or
legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard
any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in
interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or
ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or
operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the
trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No
common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag,
or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package,
luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other
container contains a firearm.

[Broken External Image]

Fencepost

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a FFL holder, I would not transfer a firearm under my license number via USPS without verifying their Background check and IN PERSON.

Rule: Firearm Transactions must take place at the address your FFL is registered or at a Gun Show.

Now, from a person to person transfer there shouldn't be a problem. I sell a shotgun or handgun I bought many years ago and ship it to a friend in a another state should not be a problem.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a FFL holder, I would not transfer a firearm under my license number via USPS without verifying their Background check and IN PERSON.

Rule: Firearm Transactions must take place at the address your FFL is registered or at a Gun Show.

Now, from a person to person transfer there shouldn't be a problem. I sell a shotgun or handgun I bought many years ago and ship it to a friend in a another state should not be a problem.

Go directly to jail, do not pass go!!!

"Private transfer" across state lines is a felony.........

Latest posts

Top Bottom