Shocking discovery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Work with a guy from Detroit, who visits his sister who still lives there fairly often. He grew up in Flint, and just yesterday talked of how bad Flint, Pontiac, and some other burbs are. He described it as "Mogadishu without the RPGs".

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, the people there are really getting on quite well now that their local government is so broke they cant do **** for them.

The government there is opressing the people.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3007840/...ng-community-entrepreneurs-rebuilding-detroit

http://www.shinola.com/journal/detroit-bus-company-gets-it-done

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/07/sit-on-it-detroit-bus-benches_n_3224752.html

They are trying pretty hard to keep people who don't live in Detroit from realizing how smoothly things could be running there if the city would get out of it's own way.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flint is about an hour and a half from Detroit. not a bad drive, the Buick museum there is really cool.

Pontiac is rough to say the least. My buddy was there for the dream cruise in 2010, he got shot at by the cops with pepper balls. For no good reason either. Bloomfield Hills, which between Pontiac and Detroit, is where the richies live.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a documentary on the History Channel, I think, or maybe it was that Indie Channel ... anyway ... that talked about some folks in Detroit who were taking over abandoned lots, clearing them and planting gardens on them. Then they were selling the produce at farmer's markets. A lot of them had chickens (a BUNCH of chickens) and rabbits, too and would sell eggs or process the livestock and sell the meat. I thought it was pretty smart of them. They didn't want to move, couldn't find work, so they started their own little cottage industry. One older lady even had a John Deere tractor she drove from lot to lot (she had several lots in different neighborhoods IIRC).

The irony just smacks you in face, doesn't it? Gotta love "progress"...

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a documentary on the History Channel, I think, or maybe it was that Indie Channel ... anyway ... that talked about some folks in Detroit who were taking over abandoned lots, clearing them and planting gardens on them. Then they were selling the produce at farmer's markets. A lot of them had chickens (a BUNCH of chickens) and rabbits, too and would sell eggs or process the livestock and sell the meat. I thought it was pretty smart of them. They didn't want to move, couldn't find work, so they started their own little cottage industry. One older lady even had a John Deere tractor she drove from lot to lot (she had several lots in different neighborhoods IIRC).

I wonder how long before they have to post guards to protect their work and product. God help them, and us, too.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how long before they have to post guards to protect their work and product. God help them, and us, too.

To be honest, I don't know that they don't have to post guards. What I do know is they were working and working hard. I'm not thinking the growing season in Detroit is a long one by any stretch of the imagination. They were all doing progressive plantings and had hired kids (and other adults) in the surrounding neighborhoods to help them. Nobody around there had any money so they were all bartering. I thought it was pretty ingenious of them. Some of them had even gone so far as to buy the lots for unpaid taxes although they didn't talk about that much. Seems like if you owned very much property that would affect your welfare benefits -- Some of them were getting benefits, some of them were not. It was a really interesting documentary. Wish I could remember the name of it. :scratch:

OUfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love Detroit. Its dirty, gritty, and full of hoodlums, but you can drive 100 on the freeway without fear. If you stay out of the real ghetto parts, it is pretty nice. Lots of clean, safe areas for white folk. There are areas where the white folk are murdered just entering though, so be safe. Dearborn is nice and the home of Ford.

I guess no other race values life, cleanliness, or safety either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom