Shooting rampage at DC Navy Yard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Side note: when were troops disarmed? I know my FIL (was an Army Intel WO) spoke of carrying pretty much 24/7 due to his duties and knowledge. I've heard that up into the 60s, NCOs would carry a sidearm at all times on post. A friend of mine says it was post commander's discretion until Clinton's term when he disarmed all non-security troops. I know in the 80s in Germany, troops pulling post gate duty did not routinely carry ammo, unless THREATCON was elevated. As a gate-guard MP in 69th ADA Brigade, I carried 10 rounds in an ammo pouch, and woe unto anyone caught with a loaded weapon. Only loaded the magazine when I was on road patrol.

I joined the USAF in '86 and nobody on any base I was assigned to or visited, including Army and Marine Corps bases at home and abroad was ever armed except for security personnel (not counting a few undisclosed locations and Iraq/Afghanistan of course). The only exception was during exercises or periods of ramped up security threat.

The simple fact is 98% of military personnel have daily duties that do not require a firearm, and the logistics involved in issuing firearms to people everyday is cumbersome with little value added. Despite the splash factor of Fort Hood and now the Navy Yard, incidents of violence on military installations is low. I wouldn't have wanted to stand in line at the armory every day for an hour or more at the beginning AND end of my shift just to pick up a pistol or rifle that I didn't need to complete my duties for the day.

Letting me carry concealed under my state permit though? Now that's a different story. Increasing the chance of a bad man with a gun coming face to face with a good man with a gun could be done with the stroke of a pen and with little impact to the duty day of hard working Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines...(and the Coasties too). Allow those licensed by their state or municipality to carry concealed on post. Off-duty cops, licensed and armed citizens with access to the base etc...

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CNN beating the anti-gun drum once again---ad nauseam!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/17/us/ar-15-gun-debate/?hpt=hp_t1
Navy Yard shooting: AR-15, back in the news -- briefly
By Ben Brumfield, CNN
updated 8:59 AM EDT, Tue September 17, 2013

One of the few lucid/coherent passages in the article:
..."The sources, who have detailed knowledge of the investigation, cautioned that initial information that an AR-15 was used in the shootings may have been incorrect. It is believed that Alexis had rented an AR-15, but returned it before Monday morning's shootings. Authorities are still investigating precisely how many weapons Alexis had access to and when."...

Last edited:

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Almost every mass shooting involves an AR-15 assault rifle," Staff Sgt. Alonzo Lunsford told CNN's Piers Morgan Monday night.

"It's the preferred mass shooter's weapon of choice," added Lunsford, who was wounded by Maj. Nidal Hasan [who used 2 FN HANDGUNS] during the Ft. Hood shooting in 2009
Irony added for clarity.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. Why did you storm a military base and start killing people? Because gun-free zone.

Or maybe he did it because he was nuts. Right now we have two groups arguing about how/why this happened. One group says it is because our gun laws make it easy for people to purchase firearms. Another says it is because the base was a gun free zone. Both of those contributed to this, however the biggest factor in almost all mass shootings is the shooters mental health. Nobody on either side want to look past their argument and attempt to come up with a solution for the lack of mental health services.

As far as weapons used the most consistent thing I have read was he started with a shotgun then grabbed a pistol from an injured/possibly dead security guard/cop. Even an NBC blog said he only showed up with a shotgun and grabbed the other guns.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...avy-yard-gathering-weapons-along-the-way?lite

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recall reading a piece not all that long ago about why we react to such incidents the way we do. It's in our nature to want to be able to stop something like this, and prevent it from happening.

The idea that we can do neither scares us.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody on either side want to look past their argument and attempt to come up with a solution for the lack of mental health services.

Yes, and not just the lack of mental health services but the mentality of mental health services, no pun intended. The aversion to identifying, labeling, and treating those with issues because we don't want to hurt their self esteem is/has resulted in a lot of loose cannons running around.

How many mass murderers in the last ten years had triggered red flags in the months and years before the event? Red flags ignored by those with legal and moral obligations to act...

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/officials-washington-navy-yard-shooter-had-3-firearms-including-ar-15-assault-rifle/2013/09/16/ea146a8e-1f4a-11e3-9ad0-96244100e647_story.html

FBI says Navy Yard gunman had shotgun when he entered building, obtained handgun after firing
By Associated Press, Published: September 16 | Updated: Tuesday, September 17, 2:31 PM

.."Valerie Parlave, head of the FBI’s field office in Washington, said Tuesday they don’t have any information that he had an AR-15 assault rifle in his possession."..

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/officials-washington-navy-yard-shooter-had-3-firearms-including-ar-15-assault-rifle/2013/09/16/ea146a8e-1f4a-11e3-9ad0-96244100e647_story.html

FBI says Navy Yard gunman had shotgun when he entered building, obtained handgun after firing
By Associated Press, Published: September 16 | Updated: Tuesday, September 17, 2:31 PM

.."Valerie Parlave, head of the FBI’s field office in Washington, said Tuesday they don’t have any information that he had an AR-15 assault rifle in his possession."..

It doesn't matter if he had one or not. The mainstream media will report it, and has, however they want to get what they want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom