Shotgun info for a scattergun noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've really been thinking lately that it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to purchase an all purpose pump action shotgun. This shotgun would need to be 12 gauge, and mostly used as a home defense gun, but I would like it to be possible to have it as a decent bird and clay shooting gun with a quick change of barrels and accessories. The only problem is, I know just about nothing about what all is out there. I've got about a $350 dollar budget to play with, so I definitely think I'll be looking to buy used. While I've never owned a shotgun, I've fired several, I just know nothing about what I need to look for in a potential purchase, or if I've budgeted enough. Can anyone give me some good info?

Reaction score
I'd go used, to get the most bank for your buck. Shotguns are difficult to damage, so used ones typically work fine. Look for your standards of Rem 870, Winchester 1300/1200, and Ithaca 37. But don't pass up a good Mossberg 500, 500A, or a Browning BPS (if in your price range). I'd get just one all-purpose barrel in the 21-22" range. Then it fits in a duck or turkey blind just fine, and still is short enough for home defense. Or grab a 26-28" for hunting, and an 18" for HD.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or grab a 26-28" for hunting, and an 18" for HD.

That's kind of what I had in mind right there. I'm not much of a hunter (yet), so I can wait on picking up a longer barrel for hunting. Do all of the common models of shotguns out there allow for simple barrel replacement? Also, I noticed various models of shotguns have different length mag tubes. Do they make extensions for these that I can put on at home and take off when hunting season comes around?

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The plain-jane 870 Express won't take magazine extensions because of a detent built into the mag tube. You can drill or press it out, but I've always been to chicken to try it with mine.

870 Wingmasters and Express Home Defense (HD) don't have this issue. I'd probably just get a used Wingmaster and find an 18" barrel and extension (though with 18" I think you only get one extra round). You get a slicker gun than the Express by a longshot, with the only limitation that most used Wingmasters are in 2 3/4" only. I don't find that much of a limitation, however.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Academy often has 18" barrels for Remington 870s made by Mossberg. Sounds a little off, but they're usually in the $100 range.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
extra barrels are not hard to find either online (new) or (new/used) at major gun shows. The do cost $180 - $225 last I looked.

My first couple of 870 express shotguns were $199.95 + tax.

A shotgun with buckshot is rated the number one home defense weapon. They say get down behind cover and let the bad guy come to you. As he fills the doorway makes a good target. #00 buck out of a modified barrel at 12' - 15' has a pattern of about 7 inches. I am not sure if a improved cylinder choke would add a lot to that but you need to have a cylinder or improved cylinder choke for HD.

You do not want to use a rifled barrel for HD. the rifling causes a spiral effect on the buckshot and thus it spins into a much bigger pattern. If I remember right, at 15' the pattern is more like 27" and too big for HD.

The Mossies 835 pump?? are usually on sale at Academy before dove season, sept 1, around $150. and they have a good supply of the 18" HD barrel.

used shotguns have been in demand around here. they can look beat up but a pump has a long life.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
in all reality, 3-4 shells of 00buck with a badguy in the house, and Im feeling pretty good about the situation.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dimples are easily removed. I, however, concur with olyeller. 3-4 rds is adequate, and in my opinion, the added weight of the extension is rarely worth it. I am currently running a +1 on my patrol shotgun.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 870, Mossberg 500 series, Winchester 1300-all of them are easily customized with all sorts of goodies-stocks, barrels, sidesaddles, extended magazines, flashlight mounts, etc. It should be easy to find one used or new under $250 and fit what ever you want on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom