Shotgun info for a scattergun noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhayt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like home defense is your primary objective with the scattergun. About a year ago, I built the pictured tactical shotgun for right around $200. Here's how: New 870 Express from Academy, $215; Knoxx stock, $100; 7-round mag extension and barrel clamp $30; 18" Factory Remington barrel, $90; Totaling $435. I sold the 28" vent rib barrel ($155) and factory laminate stock/forend ($90) both on gunbroker.com. Grand total $190! Looks like you have $160 left to buy a great used field gun!

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 158

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Re: Shotgun info for a scattergun noob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It sounds like home defense is your primary objective with the scattergun. About a year ago, I built the pictured tactical shotgun for right around $200. Here's how: New 870 Express from Academy, $215; Knoxx stock, $100; 7-round mag extension and barrel clamp $30; 18" Factory Remington barrel, $90; Totaling $435. I sold the 28" vent rib barrel ($155) and factory laminate stock/forend ($90) both on gunbroker.com. Grand total $190! Looks like you have $160 left to buy a great used field gun!
Attached Thumbnails

you did alright. I stand corrected, i did not know you could buy an 18" barrel for around $90. Great job. But let me ask you seriously, other than looks, is there an advantage to going tatical vs. standard stock and forearm on a 870?

Thanks.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But let me ask you seriously, other than looks, is there an advantage to going tatical vs. standard stock and forearm on a 870?

Thanks.
Shorter Length of Pull (LOP). A 10"-11" stock results in a much more comfortable and controllable gun for most folks. "Stock" stocks work, but after using the shorter ones, I'd never go back.

dhayt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Re: Shotgun info for a scattergun noob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you did alright. I stand corrected, i did not know you could buy an 18" barrel for around $90. Great job. But let me ask you seriously, other than looks, is there an advantage to going tatical vs. standard stock and forearm on a 870?

Thanks.

The stock I chose was a Knoxx SpecOps with recoil reduction. There are two springs which collapse when fired and virtually eliminate all recoil (even with 3" mag 00). The stock will only work on pump guns since autos would not cycle. Also, with a 6 position stock it can be adjusted to a more comfortable length of pull.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBusiness
But let me ask you seriously, other than looks, is there an advantage to going tatical vs. standard stock and forearm on a 870?

Thanks.

Shorter Length of Pull (LOP). A 10"-11" stock results in a much more comfortable and controllable gun for most folks. "Stock" stocks work, but after using the shorter ones, I'd never go back.

Rob72 - while we are on the subject of LOP - I am 6'3". Shoot a lot of skeet. have had guns professionally fitted. My least amount of LOP for shooting a shotgun is 15 3/8. any shorter and my nose and lips are pressing aganist the back of my right hand palm/thumb and makes for a nasty "punch" via recoil. And most of the skeet, trap, and sporting clays shooters have their guns likewise fitted (not 15 3/8 LOP but comparable for their size). If the back of your right hand slams into your nose and lips every time you shoot, you start to flinch very badly and can't hit any target. Just some information.

Thanks and have a great (hot) day.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The stock I chose was a Knoxx SpecOps with recoil reduction. There are two springs which collapse when fired and virtually eliminate all recoil (even with 3" mag 00).

I have a Knoxx SpecOps stock on my 870, and while I find it impressive and a worthy purchase, I have to disagree about the amount of recoil reduction. In my hands and with 2 3/4" buckshot or bird shot, there's still some recoil - I'd say the reduction is about 50%. Knoxx claims up to 95% recoil reduction, but that seems optimistic, and I've seen reviews online with subjective estimations of 25-60%. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom